Discussion Board

Smile Monospace font in Nokia 6270

Hi,

I am working with CustomItem class and created a custom list component. I have to use monospace font in my list.

For this, I have used g.setFont(Font.getFont(Font.FACE_MONOSPACE,Font.STYLE_PLAIN,FONT.SIZE_MEDIUM));

before drawing string on screen.

In WTK emulator, it works perfectly and shows the output list in monospace font. However when I tried this in my Nokia 6270 mobile phone, it doesn't show monospace font.

Any clue ?

Thanks, Kirtimaan

Re: Monospace font in Nokia 6270

Quote Originally Posted by kirtimaan
    I have to use monospace font in my list.

For this, I have used g.setFont(Font.getFont(Font.FACE_MONOSPACE,Font.STYLE_PLAIN,FONT.SIZE_MEDIUM));

before drawing string on screen.

In WTK emulator, it works perfectly and shows the output list in monospace font. However when I tried this in my Nokia 6270 mobile phone, it doesn't show monospace font.
    The MIDP spec defines three font faces, three font sizes and three style modifiers (which can be combined).

So in theory, you have the possibility to request for 72 different fonts (3*3*(2^3) combinations).

But the MIDP Javadoc for the Font class http://java.sun.com/javame/reference...cdui/Font.html also reads:
    Quote Originally Posted by Javadoc
    Fonts cannot be created by applications. Instead, applications query for fonts based on font attributes and the system will attempt to provide a font that matches the requested attributes as closely as possible.
    and also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Javadoc
    getFont() obtains an object representing a font having the specified face, style, and size. If a matching font does not exist, the system will attempt to provide the closest match. This method always returns a valid font object, even if it is not a close match to the request.
    So the case here is that the Nokia 6270 does not support more than the one font you already are using. Requesting for fonts with different faces all return the same font. More generally, I don't think that any Nokia device that I have seen supports the monospace font face.

The WTK is a PC emulator, and it supports a more diverse set of fonts.

Regular Contributor

Take a look at this document, the Series 40 UI Style Guide v3.2: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._2_en.pdf.html

The "Font" chapter says that most of the S40 fonts are proportional, so a proportional font uses varying widths for characters.

I guess Nokia did it in order to utilize screen spaces more efficiently, and that's why monospace isn't available on 6270.

knorring and axs,

Thanks for your reply.

So, is there any alternate of showing a list with mono spaced font in nokia devices ?

Thanks, Kirtimaan

I use the MicroFont library to draw strings in all of my games. MicroFont allows you to use fonts other than the default ones and I find it a little faster than the normal graphics.drawString method.

This will let you use the font you want but may add as much as 15k to your game.

Smile Re: Monospace font in Nokia 6270

Quote Originally Posted by aclelland2
    I use the MicroFont library to draw strings in all of my games. MicroFont allows you to use fonts other than the default ones and I find it a little faster than the normal graphics.drawString method.

This will let you use the font you want but may add as much as 15k to your game.

aclelland2, Thanks!!

I think this is what I should look for UI and as far as size increased by 15k, currently my app is around 65k in jar file, so I think if it goes to 80k, thats fine for now. I will give a try to this library.

Again thanks.