Discussion Board

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Questionnaire about RDA devices / firmware versions

What do you mean? In the Java webstart application the device status is still market with "red circle" instead of green (=active reservation)? Did you try the "disconnect from server/connect to server". That usually helps, if the reservation status doesn't update correctly otherwise.

On the other hand, if you have trouble starting the Java webstart app itself, here are the first thigns to check:

* Make sure that you have Java webstart installed and that your browser can associate JNLP-files with it. Usually comes with JRE (a fairly recent version is needed!)

* Make sure that firewalls etc. are not blocking traffic to ports 80 and 1200. Port 1200 may be blocklisted by default on some setups.

Regular Contributor

Definitely add some S60 2nd edition devices to the mix - they are still being sold, and many people still have them in use. I would also like to see any Java-enabled S40 devices show up there as well - any phone that supports Java, MIDP 2.0, CLDC 1.1 and JSR-82 I am interested in testing on.

Foreign versions, carrier specific modified versions (like the US ATT/Cingular versions that have custom service provider changes that actually change the way the device operates), version that have specific bugs - these are all very useful and helpful for device testing - maybe a special category for "problem devices" would be helpful in that regards.

Regular Contributor

We need some forum categories for the RDA so we can discuss things in general and leave other feedback.

I cant launch the RDA from Firefox (nothing happens with you click the button), but it launches from IE okay - but needless to say, I dont want to use IE.

We need detailed debug output from the device when an application fails - I keep getting "unhandled exception" errors - but it doesnt say which ones they are - the "debug log" is always blank and doesnt show anything.

And finally, how do we load a signed Java application to the devices? It only takes .jar files for loading, and not .jar/.jad pairs... Do we have to fire up the web browser and do an OTA download from a website? But they dont have SIM cards in them do they, so will that even work?

I have the same problems. To my ming, the hitch is browser. I can not login from one place, but from home where I use completly diferent browsers all goes ok. But anyaway you should chek up your browser settings( cookies, java, etc) though in my case it did not work.

I have the same problems. To my ming, the hitch is browser. I can not login from one place, but from home where I use completly diferent browsers all goes ok. But anyaway you should chek up your browser settings( cookies, java, etc) though in my case it did not work.

Thanks for the feedback.

kokuryu: I personally use Firefox as well and have set the RDA up and running on some 5-10 computers without problems. As said earlier, check from Firefox settings that it is able to associate the JNLP-files with Java webstart launcher. You can see this from Tools->Options->Content->File types. There should be an entry like this: "JNLP JNLP File Open with Java(Tm) Webstart launcher". If no association is set, then the browser should prompt, with which application do you want to open the application with. Note that browser is used only to launch the Java application, not to run it.

Capturing Symbian OS panics only works for native Symbian applications, unfortunately. What you could do, is write some needed debug data to a text file while executing the program and then view the text file through the debug window. Select "attach new log files" and type the location of the logfile to the address field. For example if the file would on the root of the C:\-drive, then the location would simply be c:\filename.txt

Regular Contributor

Okay, I am able to run the file now - for whatever reason the JNPL files were set to "Save to Disc" - no clue why.

As far as "writing a file" - wont work since I dont know what the JAVA panic was the is causing the problem in the first place. Without detailed on-screen or other information, it will take hours to debug as I will have to step thru the application one line at a time interactively and find out which line it is that is causing the problem.

Back in the past, when this happened, a detailed error message would appear on the device so you knew exactly what error caused the problem. Now the exact errors are obfuscated so you cant tell. Better JAVA debug support is needed.

well, for many errors, you can still display them with try..catch, depending on what the application does before it crashes. Although in these cases it will just give errors like "javax.microedition.media.MediaException: Symbian OS error:-4" (this would be error code for "not enough memory").

You could post the problem on Java boards, maybe someone there can advice you further.

Does anyone know what problems with connection may be if your emulator won't connect to internet. I have suspiciuus, that some ports used for connection are being banned, but which one could be??

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._Device_Access

Added a couple of demo videos there, will probably do more at some point.

Tested the N70, found one problem, so it might take a while longer.

Edit: restored 3250 to the system meanwhile.

Lightbulb S60 second edition and some latest S40 phone

Hello!
    I'd like to see an some S60 second edition and some latest S40 phone. Because though the S60 3rd edi. are booming in market but most of the Indian people have S40 or S60 2nd edi. phone.

Thanks,
    Abhijeet Banode

Unhappy Re: Questionnaire about RDA devices / firmware versions

hallo i from polen,and i have big problem,i was log in ad i cannot open (startDevUI.jnlp) wan i started this program tell me invalid password,but i gave gut password...and i have reservation now...what can i do naw?pleas halp me

A few possible reasons:

1. check that you have a recent enough version of Java runtime environment installed and that your browser is able to properly associate the JNLP-file with Java webstart launcher

2. check that you don't have a firewall, that might be blocking outgoing traffic to ports 80 and 1200 at http://apu.ndhub.net.

3. if those were ok, go to Control panel->Java->General->Temporary internet files. Clean up the temporary Java-files + your browser cache. Try again.

N72 (S60 2.8) is now available on the system. It's pretty much the same device as N70 (with which we had a problem), just without the front camera.

Regular Contributor

Any possibility of getting a N75 online for testing? I need to test an application on one very badly...