Discussion Board

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Questionnaire about RDA devices / firmware versions

mgroeber9110:

sounds extremely strange... I have not heard anyone have a similar problem before. Are you connecting from behind a proxy server (if there is animation when you open the Java webstart client, then the answer is yes)?

Maybe you have a firewall that might "lock down" due to something the RDA client does? One thing you could try, is getting the latest JRE to see if that has any effect on the issue (unless you of course already have it)

Otherwise: E51 is now available on the system.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodredsky View Post
    sounds extremely strange... I have not heard anyone have a similar problem before. Are you connecting from behind a proxy server (if there is animation when you open the Java webstart client, then the answer is yes)?
    As far as I can see, there is no proxy server involved - the firewall is effectively not doing much more than a vanilla SOHO router, and I haven't got a proxy configured anywhere on my machine.

Maybe you have a firewall that might "lock down" due to something the RDA client does? One thing you could try, is getting the latest JRE to see if that has any effect on the issue (unless you of course already have it)
    The problem seems to go away after me rebooting my own machine, but not, for example, when renewing my IP address or unplugging the network cable. My JRE is 1.6.0.3 (but I have seen this happen with earlier 1.6 versions as well).

It is probably a very obscure local configuration on my laptop - it doesn't even happen on another XP box in our office with pretty much the same setup. But the curious fact remains that the RDA client is the only application that has managed to make it happen so far...

If I had to make a wild guess, I'd finger some components in the Cisco VPN client, like the "Deterministic Network Enhancer" (which seems to be known for sometimes causing very specific network bugs even when not on a VPN). But this is purely speculation in order to produce some keywords in case someone searches for a similar bug in the future. ;-)

RDA is an excellent tool and very useful to me. Thanks Nokia!

I do have 2 questions:
    - Would it be possible to provide some S40 devices, especially newest edition?
    - I noticed that it is impossible to install Midlets on the 5500. The installation always aborts with "Unable to install". First I thought it is a problem of my Midlet. So I tested it on several other RDA-devices and it worked fine. I was even unable to install simple java-apps from the internet, which are known to work. Any ideas on that?

Thanks and regards
    Andre

lisoand:

1. S40 devices are not currently supported in RDA. We are looking at different options on whether or not and how this limitation could be removed. Recently there also were a few questionnaires in these discussions boards + blogs about this subject.

2. Midlets have worked on 5500 before and they should work now, but I'll check this out.. Could be that something has jammed on the device, which is preventing the installation. However 5500 does not currently have SIM-card (and it does not support WLAN), so you can't access internet from it. This means that you either have to use the "install software"-feature (takes .jar-files) - or if you need to test installation though .jad, use the file transfer client and copy .jar+.jad to the device (for example to folder e:\j2me). Then use the phones own file manager to click on the .jad to trigger installation. We are likely adding more data SIM-cards to the devices soon.

2. Midlets have worked on 5500 before and they should work now, but I'll check this out.. Could be that something has jammed on the device, which is preventing the installation. However 5500 does not currently have SIM-card (and it does not support WLAN), so you can't access internet from it. This means that you either have to use the "install software"-feature (takes .jar-files) - or if you need to test installation though .jad, use the file transfer client and copy .jar+.jad to the device (for example to folder e:\j2me). Then use the phones own file manager to click on the .jad to trigger installation. We are likely adding more data SIM-cards to the devices soon.
    Thanx for your fast answer! I tried your second suggestion (upload to e:\j2me and install) with same effect: "Unable to install". I left the files on the phone to give you a chance to reproduce the behavior.

Cheers

Btw: Is this still the right thread for this kind of discussion?

lisoand:

I formatted the phone + tested installation with few apps - should work now.

There's no dedicated discussion board or anything for RDA related matters, so I don't mind you posting questions here - although I've mostly used this specific thread for gathering feedback/requests + informing about updates. But the most direct way for getting help is of course sending email to the support email address, which is mentioned at the RDA welcome-page.

Works now excellent, thanks again!

Some other topic. I read in an older positing a question regarding gps. Have been able meanwhile to acquire a gps bluetooth device which is accessible from a phone?

lisoand:

I tried using external GPS module with better placement, but the signal level still was not strong enough indoors. If I find a working approach (some signal amplifier might work perhaps...), then we'll make this available. But until then, GPS remains unfortunately in the "not possible"-list.

Actually as I just learned, even if GPS is not currently available, you could easily do some testing on location based services using this tool:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...tion_Tool.html

I just tested it myself on one of the N95s and seemed to work well.

EDIT: a video demo: http://mosh.nokia.com/content/40A178...40050A45307A77

and also a rather comprehensive wiki-entry:

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._tool_with_RDA

A few changes in devicebase: 2 more WRT enabled devices added (due to interest) + pre-sales version of N82. For time being, a few older devices put to rest to make room for these.

But remember: even if some device is not currently on the system, you can send me a request and I'll see what I can do. We can rotate the device models as seen necessary. But in the long run if some device is not used enough, it's very likely one of the first to go. That's the way it works.

5 more SIM-cards added, more to come.

All 20 devices now have SIM-cards and they should work as follows:

allowed:

* wireless data
    * incoming calls
    * incoming SMS

Incoming calls+incoming SMS are mostly there to allow testing incoming interruptions as defined by Symbian signed/Java verified test criteria.

blocked:

* outgoing calls
    * outgoing SMS/MMS
    * pretty much everything else

Use the pre-defined Elisa internet and RDA (=WLAN.. for WLAN enabled devices) access points to access internet.

Back from the holidays, I just received sales HW for N81 8GB, N82 & N95 8GB. These will replace the current presales versions of those models - I will put them online later today.

Hi the RDA looks great and incredibly useful.

Re devices is there any chance of adding a Samsung S60v3 device ?

Also will there be more prototypes of pre launch handsets so we can beta test the beta phones - ie. the upcoming touch screen ones for the next S60v?

Technically adding devices from other S60 licensees could be possible, but our focus point is of course on Nokia devices.

We are updating the device base as new devices come out/whenever seen necessary, this might also include (announced) pre-sales devices.