Discussion Board

Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Nokia Developer Moderator

Question Questionnaire about RDA devices / firmware versions

Hello,

I'm the guy who currently administrates the FN remote device access (RDA) setup (http://forum.nokia.com/rda) - and would like to raise a couple of questions about the devicebase. What devices / firmware-versions would you like to see in the system? Are you happy with what is offered there or would you like to see some other models there as well? What about the firmware-versions: is it enough for you to have the latest/rather recent SW (typical EURO-variant with english locale) or would you like to see also other versions or even different language variants?

Feel free to comment. If you haven't tried the service out yet, now its' a good time to start

EDIT: also listing the most recent updates to devicebase on this thread. If some the Nokia S60 device you need to test your application on is not currently included to the system, you can send me a request and I'll see what I can do. In most cases it might be possible - at least temporarily, add the requested device(/s) to the system.

Regular Contributor

Re: Questionnaire about RDA devices / firmware versions

Some S60 2nd edition devices would be good. I appreciate this is not as straightforward as adding 3rd edition devices, but it seems better to ask than to assume it is not possible.

There are a lot of people using 2nd ed devices. The N70 is still being sold today for brand new 12/18 month contracts by at least one of the major operators in the UK (TMobile). The N90 would be especially useful (to me) being the only 2nd edition phone that isn't 176x208.

The system can support most of the S60 2nd edition devices, we've had for example N72 and 6630 there in the past (when the service was not publically available). If we get enough requests, then we can take this into consideration.

Btw. The RDA service was unavailable through out the weekend because of an update. Now it's up and running normally again. For example E90 has now the correct skin with correct screensize.

Regular Contributor

That's good to hear. I'd like to see an N70, because a lot of customers own them, and an N90, because its screen was unique.

This service is very useful for developers. Thank you very much. Nokia is number one in term of supporting developers.

If you can add Nokia 6110 navigator phone then it will be good. I have tested my application with Nokia N95. However, I can not enable GPS in N95 remote device. Can you enable GPS in N95 and 6110 by default so that developers can test the GPS feature? The N95 remote devices are indoor, so is there a way to get GPS fix?

Hello vgps,

thanks for the comments. The problem indeed is that the devices are located in a lab and can't connect to the satellites. The solution I have in mind is to get a bluetooth GPS receiver and place it somewhere near a window yet still close enough to the server rack so that the devices can connect to it. This might or might not work, I guess I'll have to try it someday.. Of course this would not be the same as the internal GPS receiver of N95, but the next best thing (and enable GPS also for other device models).

Support for 6110 was just recently added to the system, so it might be possible to have that device on the system.. However the inbuild GPS would still be useless.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mike_brock
    There are a lot of people using 2nd ed devices. The N70 is still being sold today for brand new 12/18 month contracts by at least one of the major operators in the UK (TMobile). The N90 would be especially useful (to me) being the only 2nd edition phone that isn't 176x208.
    Adding 2nd editon devices would definately be useful.

Also, being able to test opengles application would be of great help for game developers.

I would like to see several devices which are distributed in Russia and CIS markets, becouse as far as i know none of them included in this list

snaptimismus: what device models might that be?

well, for instance, 6131,6280....Basically, phones those are avaible with firmware which is distirbuted in CIS(Russia) markets, I personally interested in simmple models but supporting MIDP 2.0

Super Contributor

The RDA devices are all based on Symbian OS. The devices you list are S40 devices with a Nokia proprietary real-time OS, and without the required device-side software for RDA use.

That's correct, the current setup can unfortunately only handle Symbian based devices. We are investigating the future options though.

Thanks a lot. I've got another question.
    What happens with uploaded MIDlet when your reservation time ends?is it being removed when time's up? It's ,to some exted, importan as for some resons it is nessesary to test both versions of application(live).

It's strongly recommented that you uninstall your application/s when you're finished testing. If you are unable to do so, you can request the admin to do it. The devices are cleaned up periodically. We had a script that attempted to do this automatically after each and every usage session, but it had to be disabled (for now) due to instability.

Red face Re: Questionnaire about RDA devices / firmware versions

Hi
    I have some problem in connection of RDA. As even after proper booking(Nokia E60,E65, E80) it is showing disconnected at left bottom. I had gone thrown the help content and as per help I am doing perfectly right so please reply how i could be able to start it. Please help me.....