×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    13

    Asterisk REregister failing

    Hello!

    Working to get my home-telephon-system working i see a strange thing with my E70 (updated to the latest 3.x firmware).

    The expiry for the registration an the asterisk side is 3600 seconds (1 hour).
    The phone tries to reregister itself every (about) 50 minutes - thats all right.
    BUT - very often the phone is not able to reregister, because there seems to be something within the (normal) sequence of
    register (with old nonce) -> unauthorized (supply new nonce) -> register (with new nonce)

    Sometimes (hardly ever) the phone recognizes the new nonce, but most of the time it just takes the nonce from the "unauthorized" answer before the current one and uses it two times:
    Code:
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="7d3101d2"                                                                                                                                                      
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="58881c76"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="7d3101d2"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="48e8f5ae"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="58881c76"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="5a67d730"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="58881c76"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="7b51893d"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="5a67d730"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="0f45e56b"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="5a67d730"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="02ea78f1"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="0f45e56b"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="024670a4"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="0f45e56b"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="139b02be"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="024670a4"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="44d5f8f6"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="024670a4"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="5de45bcc"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="44d5f8f6"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="3fdc4860"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="44d5f8f6"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="79c5f7a5"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="3fdc4860"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="451e0703"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="3fdc4860"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="4731c495"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="451e0703"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="14678935"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="451e0703"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="1ed533d8"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="14678935"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="0b30964f"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="14678935"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="45cf6405"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="0b30964f"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="2d146b96"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="2d146b96"
      Phone in  <-  200 OK
    In this example at the end the registration is ok, but normaly the phone tries about 100-200 times and then the state of the VoIP Icon is something like "Registration failed"

    The first registration works _every_ time with the sequence described above.

    I dont kown much about SIP at all or the implementation on the E70, but for me it looks like a timing problem.

    The Network is a simple local network with an Linksys WRT54G accesspoint/router running OpenWRT, which connects the E70, another Linksys (WRT54GS) running as Client and connecting the rest of the Boxes including the one with Asterisk running.

    Have you seen such a problem too?
    Can i do something against it on the Phone?
    Or are there some settings in asterisk i can change?

    Yours

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4

    Re: Asterisk REregister failing

    I am seeing the exact same problem.

    My conclusion is that the SIP client in E65 is either broken or incomplete, since PC soft-phones are able to easily connect using the exact same settings and on the same WLAN. Advertising these phones as SIP compatible is fraud.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2

    Re: Asterisk REregister failing

    Quote Originally Posted by kolbi-nokia
    Hello!

    Working to get my home-telephon-system working i see a strange thing with my E70 (updated to the latest 3.x firmware).

    The expiry for the registration an the asterisk side is 3600 seconds (1 hour).
    The phone tries to reregister itself every (about) 50 minutes - thats all right.
    BUT - very often the phone is not able to reregister, because there seems to be something within the (normal) sequence of
    register (with old nonce) -> unauthorized (supply new nonce) -> register (with new nonce)

    Sometimes (hardly ever) the phone recognizes the new nonce, but most of the time it just takes the nonce from the "unauthorized" answer before the current one and uses it two times:
    Code:
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="7d3101d2"                                                                                                                                                      
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="58881c76"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="7d3101d2"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="48e8f5ae"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="58881c76"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="5a67d730"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="58881c76"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="7b51893d"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="5a67d730"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="0f45e56b"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="5a67d730"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="02ea78f1"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="0f45e56b"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="024670a4"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="0f45e56b"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="139b02be"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="024670a4"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="44d5f8f6"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="024670a4"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="5de45bcc"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="44d5f8f6"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="3fdc4860"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="44d5f8f6"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="79c5f7a5"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="3fdc4860"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="451e0703"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="3fdc4860"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="4731c495"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="451e0703"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="14678935"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="451e0703"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="1ed533d8"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="14678935"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="0b30964f"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="14678935"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="45cf6405"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="0b30964f"
      Phone in  <-  401 Unauthorized  nonce="2d146b96"
      Phone out  -> REGISTER          nonce="2d146b96"
      Phone in  <-  200 OK
    In this example at the end the registration is ok, but normaly the phone tries about 100-200 times and then the state of the VoIP Icon is something like "Registration failed"

    The first registration works _every_ time with the sequence described above.

    I dont kown much about SIP at all or the implementation on the E70, but for me it looks like a timing problem.

    The Network is a simple local network with an Linksys WRT54G accesspoint/router running OpenWRT, which connects the E70, another Linksys (WRT54GS) running as Client and connecting the rest of the Boxes including the one with Asterisk running.

    Have you seen such a problem too?
    Can i do something against it on the Phone?
    Or are there some settings in asterisk i can change?

    Yours
    Hey kolbi-nokia,

    You might want to try editing the sip_nat.conf file, through freePBX in your Asterisk setup.

    This is what my file looks like:

    externip=12.23.34.56
    localnet=192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
    qualify=yes
    nat=yes

    From what I've read, the qualify=yes should make the phone keep registering more often. You may also want to edit the extsnsion details for the extension your cell will be using on the asterisk server. I would also change qualify from 60000 to yes.

    I currently have my Nokia E62 registering to my trixbox. I cannot figure out how to make/rec SIP calls. I get all circuits busy calling from any other extension to the cell.

    How do you make SIP calls from your E70?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    13

    Re: Asterisk REregister failing

    Hello Aerostar!

    Thank you for your answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by aerostar6
    Hey kolbi-nokia,
    You might want to try editing the sip_nat.conf file, through freePBX in your Asterisk setup.
    I have a pure asterisk here, so vi is the only valid configuration frontend

    Quote Originally Posted by aerostar6
    externip=12.23.34.56
    localnet=192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
    qualify=yes
    nat=yes

    From what I've read, the qualify=yes should make the phone keep registering more often. You may also want to edit the extsnsion details for the extension your cell will be using on the asterisk server. I would also change qualify from 60000 to yes.
    Regarding http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-asterisk+sip+qualify, this option is used the other way round - asterisk sends some messages to the device to see if it is still online, and to keep the NAT connection open.
    NAT is no problem here, since all happens in the same network @home.
    Nevertheless i have the "qualify=" already tried without success. I was hoping, that someone knows about an option to let the phone (re)register _less_ often

    Quote Originally Posted by aerostar6
    I currently have my Nokia E62 registering to my trixbox. I cannot figure out how to make/rec SIP calls. I get all circuits busy calling from any other extension to the cell.

    How do you make SIP calls from your E70?
    Hmm - i just dial the number with the "Internet Call" Option on the phone

    When you start the asterisk console (with "asterisk -r" on the command line), you can see, if your phone is registered with "sip show peers" and if that is the case, you can do a "sip set debug peer YOUREXTENSION", to see what happens, when you make or receive a call to the specified extension.
    You can also put a few "v"s starting the asterisk-console (like "asterisk -rvvv") to get a more verbose output - for example see, what happens in your dialplan.

    With that data it should be possible, to see, where the problem really is.

    I hope that helps a bit...

    Kolbi

  5. #5
    Nokia Developer Expert
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    197

    Re: Asterisk REregister failing

    I would expect this could be a timing issue.

    Phone out -> REGISTER nonce="7d3101d2"

    Phone in <- 401 Unauthorized nonce="58881c76"
    Suppose the UAC has not yet received the 401, and retransmits the REGISTER. That's why the nonce is same.

    Phone out -> REGISTER nonce="7d3101d2"

    UAC now receives the first 401, and uses the nonce in it.


    UAC detects the below 401 as a retransmission and drops it.
    Hence the nonce in this 401 is never used.

    Phone in <- 401 Unauthorized nonce="48e8f5ae"
    UAC sends REGISTER with credentials and new nonce
    Phone out -> REGISTER nonce="58881c76"

    Phone in <- 401 Unauthorized nonce="5a67d730"
    Again, the UAC has not yet received the above 401, and retransmits the REGISTER.
    Phone out -> REGISTER nonce="58881c76"
    UAC now receives the above 401, and uses the nonce in it.

    UAC sees the below 401 as a retransmission and drops it.
    Phone in <- 401 Unauthorized nonce="7b51893d"

    UAC sends REGISTER with credentials and new nonce
    Phone out -> REGISTER nonce="5a67d730"
    If there were network logs (or SIP stack's log), it could be verified
    if the above scenario really happens.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    13

    Re: Asterisk REregister failing

    Hello nly!

    Thank you for your answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by nly View Post
    I would expect this could be a timing issue.
    ...
    Suppose the UAC has not yet received the 401, and retransmits the REGISTER. That's why the nonce is same.
    I see what you mean - yes this could be the case

    Just as some kind of update: I just got a E90
    And my problem is still the same...

    Quote Originally Posted by nly View Post
    If there were network logs (or SIP stack's log), it could be verified
    if the above scenario really happens.
    I have the SIP log, but just from the asterisk (PC) side (and that is without exact timestamps - just seconds).
    I just tested it again (with the E90) it is exactly the same as before.
    Can you use the Packetlog from tcpdump/etherreal/wireshark? There should be better timestamps - but also just from the PC side.
    Or do you know a way to turn on some kind of SIP log on the phone?

    Yours

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    7

    Re: Asterisk REregister failing

    Same problem here. No way to get E90 to register to Trixbox. Whit N800 and all other no Nokia devices and softclients no problems. This registration to sip-proxy should be wery trivial thing to do, but Nokia manages to make this extra-difficult and complex. How in earth they manged to make this so complex and nonworking shit? Sorry about bad lanqueage, but I tought that this was phone for business user and not for geegs.

Similar Threads

  1. E-series VoIP and Asterisk?
    By seanwg in forum VoIP
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2007-06-08, 02:38
  2. Asterisk & E61
    By pcjackson06 in forum Symbian Networking & Messaging (Closed)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2007-01-06, 16:26
  3. 'Bookmark has no address' - failing web connection
    By Ujjwal Bhaskar in forum General Development Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2005-08-19, 09:45
  4. HTTP POST failing and discrepancy of string tables in SDK and 6600
    By cas_dominic in forum Symbian Networking & Messaging (Closed)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2004-05-31, 08:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×