Discussion Board

J2ME download fails on UK Orange network

Hi all,

I have an interesting question. A while ago I successfully downloaded a midlet using the UK Orange network. I can also download the midlet to the phone (6310i) using the UK Vodafone and O2 networks without a problem; I cannot download however using the T-Mobile network because of gateway restrictions.

Imagine my surprise then, when the other day, I could not download the same midlet using the orange network. Everything is set up ok - the MIME types on my server, the WAP settings, but the orange connection will now NOT download the game! I get a 'file format unknown' after just under a minute of downloading the jar file.

The download still works on the Vodafone and O2 networks, but not now on Orange. Even more strange is the fact that I can download the game onto a Nokia 3410 using Orange!

I know it's not a gateway size/implementation issue because I can download larger files onto the 3410 using the same network.

I know it's not a midlet size issue, because I can download the SAME file onto the phone without a problem over a different network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate that you are probably not aware of the Orange network, but any help would be gratefully received!!!

Regards,
    Shane.

RE: J2ME download fails on UK Orange network

I have the same problem, a couple of weeks ago I was able to download midlets from a variety of site. Today I get the same message (unknown file type) for all the midlet for all the site. I cannot dowload any midlet at all. I first thought it was a bug with my phone, reading your message I know suspect that it is related to a change in france telecom orange gateway.

Did you solve this issue?

Thanks in advance,
    antoine.garric@sun.com