Discussion Board

Image conversion

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. I want to make server page written in python, or maybe a python app, to scale images on the mobile phone and send them along with some text to my blog site. I'd prefer jpeg for the images.

Is it possible to create/convert jpeg files via s60 (3rd) imaging api and python? Or is it possible to get PIL (python imagin library http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/) running on s60? It think it should work pythonwise but I'm uncertain if the C code is needed for the basic lib to run.

Ben

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Image conversion

Quote Originally Posted by stadin
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask.
    It's ok to ask here, but if you are looking for real Python experts then you have a better chance of finding them in the Python Forum

In any case it's worthwhile, when doing anything even slightly exotic, to first try it out using a regular Python script or directly from within the Python interactive console, and only when things have been confirmed to work, to try it under Apache. The environment is similar but not identical.
    I want to make server page written in python, or maybe a python app, to scale images on the mobile phone and send them along with some text to my blog site. I'd prefer jpeg for the images. Is it possible to create/convert jpeg files via s60 (3rd) imaging api and python?
    I believe you should be able to do that using the Image class of PyS60.

However, I have a vague recollection that the image conversion, at least at some point, was implemented using some native Symbian/S60 functionality that used an extraordinary amount of memory for the task, and thus the Image class could not really be used under Apache. But that was a long time ago and in a S60v2 context, so things may have changed and in any case the devices have more memory now.
    Or is it possible to get PIL (python imagin library http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/) running on s60? It think it should work pythonwise but I'm uncertain if the C code is needed for the basic lib to run.
    I'm not aware of PIL having been ported to S60, but it's fair to say that pretty much anything can be ported if needed. I don't know, but I would expect that some C code would have to be ported as well.

Johan