Discussion Board

Thread: telephony API

Unhappy telephony API

Hello All,

I read many posts regarding the missing telephony API for j2me applications
    and i have a question regarding that API:
    I know that there are sevral JSR's such as 304, 253 (MTA) which support telephony API but there are no devices that support them , however is there any internal API for J2ME that we can buy, for example, i know motorola has such API that you can get if you are part of their support plane.
    Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: telephony API

My understanding is that the JSR-253 specification is not complete enough, and therefore it has not been implemented by any manufacturer yet (my guess, never). The 2.0-version is in the works, but not ready yet, and therefore it will be long time before that API is available on the handsets.

There is no internal API for Nokia devices. Other manufacturers can have something - I only know that RIM (Blackberry) devices have net.rim.blackberry.api.phone for some phone call specific things

Hartti

Hello hartti and thanks for the quick reply,
    if Nokia doesn't supply any telephony API for the J2ME, is it possible
    to build a telephony application that can not only make a call but also send DTMF's?
    I know that there's another option of doing something like that using WTAI but i couldn't find any good example, are you familier with one?
    Also, is it possible to create J2ME application, add wml file to the project and load the wml file from the application
    using, perhaps, http-connection to the local host\device and from the wml file make the call?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by robybd; 2007-06-14 at 07:59.

Super Contributor

you can send post-dial DTMF tones to the platformRequest() method call along the phone number you are calling.
    Sending DTMF codes only does not usually succeed.

Downloading a file is possible inside your MIDlet, you need to parse the file yourself and place the call with platformRequest. You could also open the browser with platformRequest passing the URL for the WML file, but the the browser would be controlling the situation.

Hartti

hi hartti,

i am looking for same solution, as you have told that we can pass on dtmf tones along with platformrequest() so can u put example how exactly you did this ?,

and is it possible to transfer that dtmf tone via midlet which has first established call to some number.
    if it is possible kindly reply me on nekin.developer@gmail.com or post it here itself.
    Thanks,
    Nekin

Super Contributor

You have to enter the DTMF tone at the end of the phonenumber in the platformRequest() call. After that method is called, MIDlet cannot play anymore DTMF tones in to the call

If my memory server me right separating the DTMF tone with "p" works on some phones and on some phones you need to add "/" character in there between

Hartti

so can i dial in below pattern.

my customer care number - xxxx
    dtmf tone to x'fer - yyyy

so once i call using platformRequest -- the call should be in below pattern

this.platformRequest(xxxx/y/y/y/y);

OR
    this.platformRequest(xxxxpypyypy);

can you confirm this please ?

thks

Nokia Developer Moderator

xxxxx/yyy looks like a devide operation to me. Try "xxxxx/yyy". And while at it try "xxxxxpyyy" as well, see which one really works.

This is a feedback forum, you should search for answers and for confirmation of your solution on the decicated Java forums that can be found on this discussion form.

P.S. Are you really asking clarification on this after more than one year since your provious question or is there something wrong with the database?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

thks for answer

just to clarify my post after 1 year is that, in between i was busy in other stuff and now again back to this one

and yes i tried in the way you suggested xxxx/yyy or xxxxpyyy but it seems that some older model did not worked with this format of string.

newer model also i will need to confirm for their supportive format.

anyway i will update the forum .

many thks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Do try to post your questions on the Java forums (not on the SDK feedback one) there will be there users which have solved your problem already.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi All,

Can someone help me with the below given requirement please?

Need to develop a java mobile application which can dial to a conference bridge. I can easily
    call a number using j2me using platformRequest method. But when it comes to dialing a conference bridge you need to provide the various inputs after call gets connected. I dont know how i should proceed with this requirement. Any sort of help on this question will be seriously appreciated.

I need to develop this application in a short time so, somebody plz provide some inputs.

Regards,
    Pankaj

Super Contributor

Add p's and w's (pause & wait for dial-tone) and #'s to the phone number as required, and then initiate the call.

Super Contributor

If the application knows the DTMF sequences (like IDs and PINs) then you add those in the dial string. As I noted above, on some phones you need to add "p" (pause) in front of the DTMF sequence, and on some other phones you need to have "/" or "/p" as separator between phone number and the post-dial DTMF.

If the application does not know these inputs, then user has to type them in.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    If the application knows the DTMF sequences (like IDs and PINs) then you add those in the dial string. As I noted above, on some phones you need to add "p" (pause) in front of the DTMF sequence, and on some other phones you need to have "/" or "/p" as separator between phone number and the post-dial DTMF.

If the application does not know these inputs, then user has to type them in.

Hartti
    Hello Hartti,
    Could you clarify this statement about Symbian 9.x OS
    As I understood p or / it depends on phone not on OS
    how to determine what I have to put (p, /, /p)?