Discussion Board

Bluetooth v/s Camera

Hi All,

I am trying to develop a game which would use camera for motion detection (something similar to 3Dtilt - the new game). however I was curious that while I am using the camera as a sensory device here to capture motion, can bluetooth serve as a replacement? I was curious to know this since the power consumption in camera is significant. What is the level of accuracy upto which through Bluetooth we can capture motion\movement?

Your suggestion please,

Thanks
    Rajat

Super Contributor

Re: Bluetooth v/s Camera

I would say that you cannot use bluetooth to detect motion at all. You can detect that you see new devices in bluetooth environment and you do not see the devices anymore which used to be in the BT neighborhood. However you have no idea if that is because
    - you moved
    - the other devices moved
    - the other devices were turned on/off
    - the signal was lost / acquired for some other reason

Hartti

Hi Hartti,

The reason I asked was based upon the following observations many of which you might be well aware of:

Bluetooth devices all have a unique MAC address just like a network card. And most bluetooth devices also have a name. So long as the bluetooth device is configured to advertise its presence, we can detect when it is within range and when it’s not : pointing out - a major difference between bluetooth and traditional motion detectors.

In the case of mobiles I presume that there are unique mac addresses. So do you mean to say that we can detect motion in cases when there are many-more bluetooth enabled cell phones (but-not necessarily in my room all alone) ?

Thanks
    Rajat

Super Contributor

What I was saying that you cannot detect motion, as you do not know if the devices in the environment are moving or if you are moving yourself. (and also the detection if on/off - you either see some device in your bluetooth neighborhood or then you do not see that device)

Hartti

Hi hartti,

Thanks for the previous posts. I needed to know a way to capture motion in mobile phones.

In case if I use the MMAPI along with camera as a sensory device then by using getSnapshot() I am able to capture images and also generate the RGB component of the pixel values pixel[0] for the individual frames, the difference in which gives me an indication for movement. However I am facing problems since the getSnapshot() requires a keystroke input from the user and does not happen indefinitely while the cell is in cam-mode. This is generating a problem to me as I cannot possibly keep taking snaps and calculate. Is there a workaround? Also how do I get to know "how" getSnapshot() works? Is there a way to find that out? **I know what it does**

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a ton
    Rajat

Hi Hartti,

In other words I needed to know if there's a way in which - the user input every time getSanpshot() is called can be disabled ??

That will solve many of my issues,

Thanks much
    Rajat

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me how I can test my MIDlet on my nokia 3230. I have implemented getSnapshot() but it requires a user input every time it is called which I do not want to happen. I have set the permissions in the MIDlet and also signed it. Still doesn't work.

Is there more required to be done to test "MY" piece of code on "MY" cell phone ?

please give me your suggestions,

Thanks
    Rajat