×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    36

    Question Carbide C++ v.1.1 and .pkg problems

    Hi everyone,
    This thread is a modified version of the replied question for "include path error". But here I tried to give you more information and simplify (hopefully) the situation a bit. This is going to be a long post, but please bear with it and answer my questions.

    I have installed: Symbian OS 9.2_S60_3rd_FP1_SDK_1.0; Perl v.5.8.8 (not v.5.6 as suggested in the Help), and Carbide Express v.1.1. I want to write a program for my student project on a Nokia N95 phone. I also looked at the screencast example on the Nokia website that explains how to use carbide c++. Unfortunately, that example is based upon an older, 2nd edition. The screencast shows that after creating a new project (named HelloCarbide) in Carbide under File\New\Symbian OS S60 application for C++, we can build a project and its installation package and run that in the mobile phone. Maybe it's misleading in that the video makes me (a beginner) think that we don't need to write anything and just start run a simple "HelloCarbide" program on our phone. I'd like to know if that notion is true or not. (in other words, carbide users, please tell me if we just follow the example in that screencast, can we actually get a "HelloCarbide" program working on our phone.

    My experience so far with carbideC++ is not that easy. When I really build the "HelloCarbide", Not only that I get CTags not found error (even though I think I'm using Perl and have set the PATH correctly. btw, can anyone tell me what is the correct PATH for Perl?) and Include Path Error--which according to a post in this forum is not important, I also get this error:

    (045) the following label is used but has not been declared: R_AVKON_SOFTKEYS_OK_CANCEL__MARK[C:\\Symbian\\9.2\\S60_3rd_FP1\\epoc32\\include\\avkon.rh] hellocarbide line 693
    And
    (047) the STRUCT that this resource is based on contains a STRUCT[] data member which has not been used in this resource, the missing element is: 'file_ownership_list' hellocarbide_reg.rss hellocarbide/data line 25

    Does anyone know the reason for these errors?

    Then, I figured I must be acting too naive by assuming that I'll get "HelloCarbide" program without any effort. So I go back to the folder C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\S60Ex\HelloWorldBasic\group and imported helloworldbasic.mmp into Carbide C++ through its Import\Symbian MMP file option. Then when I built the helloworldbasic, I get warnings like:

    Importer limitation - MMP keyword ignored:LANG helloworldbasic June 13, 2007 1:41:07 PM 21

    But the build process seemed to have finished and when I run it as Symbian OS application, the emulator couldn't start the interface at all.

    Again, I tried to build and run from Command Line interface. So I looked up S60_3rd_FP1_SDK_1.0\Help\GettingStarted\Creating Applications with S60\Creating Applications from the Command Line Interface. I then followed the steps and could do correctly up to running things on the emulator. However, when I try to build the application (in my case "HelloWorldBasic" included in the S60_3rdEd_FP1 package) for my phone. I followed the procedures and finished up until "abld build gcce urel" step. But when I am to create a .sis file, I couldn't locate helloworldbasic.pkg. Instead in the .sis folder, I only find "helloworldbasic_gcce.pkg" and "helloworldbasic_armv5.pkg". The command prompt tells me it cannot locate my "helloworldbasic.pkg". I don't know where it went. Now, I'm about to uninstall the entire package (including carbide c++, S60_3rd_FP1_1.0, and Perl 5.8.8) to make sure all the files are installed. But I need suggestions and help from all of you. Please help me out with my first adventure into Mobile phone application as a student! Thanks a ton in advance!!

  2. #2
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    9,968

    Re: Carbide C++ v.1.1 and .pkg problems

    Quote Originally Posted by lachee
    Hi everyone,
    This thread is a modified version of the replied question for "include path error". But here I tried to give you more information and simplify (hopefully) the situation a bit. This is going to be a long post, but please bear with it and answer my questions.

    I have installed: Symbian OS 9.2_S60_3rd_FP1_SDK_1.0; Perl v.5.8.8 (not v.5.6 as suggested in the Help), and Carbide Express v.1.1. I want to write a program for my student project on a Nokia N95 phone. I also looked at the screencast example on the Nokia website that explains how to use carbide c++. Unfortunately, that example is based upon an older, 2nd edition. The screencast shows that after creating a new project (named HelloCarbide) in Carbide under File\New\Symbian OS S60 application for C++, we can build a project and its installation package and run that in the mobile phone. Maybe it's misleading in that the video makes me (a beginner) think that we don't need to write anything and just start run a simple "HelloCarbide" program on our phone. I'd like to know if that notion is true or not. (in other words, carbide users, please tell me if we just follow the example in that screencast, can we actually get a "HelloCarbide" program working on our phone.
    Yes it Works and i use it every day.

    Quote Originally Posted by lachee
    My experience so far with carbideC++ is not that easy. When I really build the "HelloCarbide", Not only that I get CTags not found error (even though I think I'm using Perl and have set the PATH correctly. btw, can anyone tell me what is the correct PATH for Perl?) and Include Path Error--which according to a post in this forum is not important,
    You can ignore the CTag Warning. Or You have to Install the CTags.

    Quote Originally Posted by lachee
    I also get this error:

    (045) the following label is used but has not been declared: R_AVKON_SOFTKEYS_OK_CANCEL__MARK[C:\\Symbian\\9.2\\S60_3rd_FP1\\epoc32\\include\\avkon.rh] hellocarbide line 693
    And
    (047) the STRUCT that this resource is based on contains a STRUCT[] data member which has not been used in this resource, the missing element is: 'file_ownership_list' hellocarbide_reg.rss hellocarbide/data line 25

    Does anyone know the reason for these errors?
    My Best guess is you have to followed the creating for Symbian v9 that is why carbide is not able to get some header files.

    Quote Originally Posted by lachee
    Then, I figured I must be acting too naive by assuming that I'll get "HelloCarbide" program without any effort. So I go back to the folder C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\S60Ex\HelloWorldBasic\group and imported helloworldbasic.mmp into Carbide C++ through its Import\Symbian MMP file option. Then when I built the helloworldbasic, I get warnings like:

    Importer limitation - MMP keyword ignored:LANG helloworldbasic June 13, 2007 1:41:07 PM 21

    But the build process seemed to have finished and when I run it as Symbian OS application, the emulator couldn't start the interface at all.

    Again, I tried to build and run from Command Line interface. So I looked up S60_3rd_FP1_SDK_1.0\Help\GettingStarted\Creating Applications with S60\Creating Applications from the Command Line Interface. I then followed the steps and could do correctly up to running things on the emulator. However, when I try to build the application (in my case "HelloWorldBasic" included in the S60_3rdEd_FP1 package) for my phone. I followed the procedures and finished up until "abld build gcce urel" step. But when I am to create a .sis file, I couldn't locate helloworldbasic.pkg. Instead in the .sis folder, I only find "helloworldbasic_gcce.pkg" and "helloworldbasic_armv5.pkg". The command prompt tells me it cannot locate my "helloworldbasic.pkg".
    The is correct way in V9 onwards you can use gcce and some other third party ARM compiler with carbide so the pkg files are named according to the compiler.

    Quote Originally Posted by lachee
    I don't know where it went. Now, I'm about to uninstall the entire package (including carbide c++, S60_3rd_FP1_1.0, and Perl 5.8.8) to make sure all the files are installed. But I need suggestions and help from all of you. Please help me out with my first adventure into Mobile phone application as a student! Thanks a ton in advance!!
    Don't worry i had my 1st adventure even worse ..;-)

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    36

    Re: Carbide C++ v.1.1 and .pkg problems

    hi skumar_rao,

    thanks for the response and assuring me that i'm not the person who had the worst experience with carbide ;). but more questions arise. you said, you were able to successfully deploy a helloworld program following Carbide Screencast example. did you do that with "Carbide v1.1 Express + S60 FP1"? and according to your guesses I "have to followed the creating for Symbian v9 that is why carbide is not able to get some header files.". Do you mean, I need to follow the instructions for Symbian v9? If so, where do I get the directions? If you know them, could you please share them with me?

    Could you also elaborate on your answer "The correct way in V9 onwards you can use gcce and some other third party ARM compiler with carbide so the pkg files are named according to the compiler." Like I said, I can compile (in command prompt) using gcce command. But I don't know how to install and invoke third party ARM compiler with carbide. (I think in command prompt, what I typed as "albd" means arm builder. But this is only for emulator purpose) In the screencast, we can choose ARM compiler to deploy the software into mobile device. Is that what you're referring to?
    But even then, since I couldn't even compile for the emulator correctly, how would I suppose to deploy (with ARM compiler) into the device.

    Another case:: i have downloaded CTags a while ago, and i don't know how to properly install/integrate it into Carbide? the folder is just sitting right on my desktop. could you tell me steps i need to take to make Ctag work?

    Thanks again for your response. If anyone aside from me and skumar_rao reading this thread, please join in to help me out.

  4. #4
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    4,547

    Re: Carbide C++ v.1.1 and .pkg problems

    Quote Originally Posted by lachee
    Could you also elaborate on your answer "The correct way in V9 onwards you can use gcce and some other third party ARM compiler with carbide so the pkg files are named according to the compiler." Like I said, I can compile (in command prompt) using gcce command. But I don't know how to install and invoke third party ARM compiler with carbide. (I think in command prompt, what I typed as "albd" means arm builder. But this is only for emulator purpose) In the screencast, we can choose ARM compiler to deploy the software into mobile device. Is that what you're referring to?
    But even then, since I couldn't even compile for the emulator correctly, how would I suppose to deploy (with ARM compiler) into the device.
    I would recomend you to try something very simple first before you think of ARM compiler etc.

    In the command prompt, in the projects group directory( you would typically have your mmp file there. Try these commands:
    Code:
    bldmake bldfiles
    abld build winscw udeb
    epoc
    That would compile for the emulator(the third command actually invokes the emulator)

    For the device, you could try compiling with the following commands in the same sequence :
    Code:
    bldmake bldfiles
    abld build gcce urel
    After this you could change your directory to the sis directory where you would have your pkg file(if there are more than one, then use the gcce pkg)
    createsis and signsis(check SDK help for options on these)

    Actually this issue is dealt with a few dozen times in the forum in the recent few months itself(and maybe a few hundred times in the past) searching the forum would give you lot more explainations then I could possibly type.SDK help too has quite a few guidelines..ofcourse you could check the Wiki too.

    Hope it helps
    Good Luck and Cheers
    Neil

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    36

    Re: Carbide C++ v.1.1 and .pkg problems

    Thanks a lot, Neil! I even posted a reply in another thread asking about this issue without realizing that you have already answered this here! If you don't mind, could you jump into mobile java\tools&SDKs to answer my question about carbide.j not recognizing java runtime even though I made sure to install two versions (jse 1.6 and j2se 1.4)? I read from the title under your name that you use Java platform also. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    4,547

    Re: Carbide C++ v.1.1 and .pkg problems

    Quote Originally Posted by lachee
    Thanks a lot, Neil! I even posted a reply in another thread asking about this issue without realizing that you have already answered this here! If you don't mind, could you jump into mobile java\tools&SDKs to answer my question about carbide.j not recognizing java runtime even though I made sure to install two versions (jse 1.6 and j2se 1.4)? I read from the title under your name that you use Java platform also. Thanks!
    You could have given me the exact link to your thread to avoid me searching much. But anyway I have given a suggestion to the best of my little knowledge.

    Hope that it helps
    good luck and cheers
    Neil

Similar Threads

  1. Error 1 file I/O fault when i upgraded to carbide express 1.1
    By seamus_rooney in forum Symbian Tools & SDKs
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2008-07-01, 22:16
  2. Problems we are facing with Carbide C++. Please help with the solutions
    By bharath_hegde in forum Symbian Tools & SDKs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2006-11-15, 18:22
  3. can i create .pkg file myself....
    By bhargavaramudu in forum Symbian
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2006-10-26, 14:16
  4. missing drive letter in .pkg generation
    By hfoffani in forum Carbide.c++ IDE and plug-ins (Closed)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2006-08-13, 23:15
  5. How does Carbide create a .pkg file?
    By proxima1 in forum Symbian Tools & SDKs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2006-03-09, 09:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×