Discussion Board

how to install jad file using symbian 3rd edition

how could i install my symbian 3rd application onto my phone using symbian 3rd edition. and which capablities i require to install my java applications.
    please reply me the solution for the above problems

Super Contributor

Re: how to install jad file using symbian 3rd edition

No capabilities needed for Java apps (capabilities are a Symbian Platform Security feature).

You install the Symbian apps by building a .sisx file with the SDK. You can self-sign the app, if you use only unprotected APIs (the application is not trusted). For protected APIs, you need to go through Symbian Signed (http://www.symbiansigned.com).

Java apps you install by building a .jar file. They don't need to be signed, but signing will remove some requirements for prompting the user, and some operator customized devices might only allow signed apps. Java signing through Java Verified (http://www.javaverified.com).

Actual installation can be initiated by an over-the-air download (e.g., link in SMS and from there a browser download, or going directly to a download link with the browser), or you do it from a PC (by just sending the file using OBEX and then opening the message, or copying the file to the device and initiating the installation using a file manager or the Application Manager, or using the Nokia PC Suite Application Installer).

thanks for the reply,but i have to create an installer in the symbian 3rd application to install the java game onto the device if you know any proceder to install the jad file onto the device please let me know that thing

Super Contributor

I'm not sure what, exactly, you're trying to do.

The actual "installer" for applications is on the phone, and it installs MIDlets just fine (just build the .jar file).

If you want to install from a PC, then you can use the Nokia PC Suite Application Installer (which just copies the file over and runs the actual software installer on the phone).

You can also put your .jad/.jar on a web site, and have it downloaded and the installation happen when the user goes to your web site by using the built-in browser on the phone.

If you're thinking of something else, perhaps you could explain what your goal is in more detail?

actually i have to create an application which is going to install my game onto the phone. and for that i have to install the jar/jad onto the phone.
    i can do it directly by installing the jar/jad but i have to do it through an symbian application.
    if you have any idea about the installation of the jar and jad please share it with me