Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

weird app install issue on N95

I installed an application of my own on a N95. However, as soon as i switch the phone off and then on again and try to launch the application, nothing happens. I have to re-install the application, which is very irritating and bizarre. Why is this happening? The icon for the application remains in the application folder, but when you select it nothing happens. I've experienced this with only my applications and not with others I've downloaded, so i must be missing something...

ignore this/my post
    Last edited by traud; 2007-08-07 at 12:40.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: weird app install issue on N95

Larry,

Any chance that:

1) Your app is throwing a runtime exception on startup?
    2) You're using Carbide 3.2, which has Java Compiler / Compiler Compliance set to 1.5 by default, a format that will compile fine but not execute in the device?

Daniel

Regular Contributor

the app runs fine multiple times. its only after i switch off and start up again it doesn't work. and i've attempted multiple times so i don't think its just a startup delay...will try again

I'm having exactly the same problem with a MIDlet I'm developing. I can close and re-open the app multiple times but after a phone restart the app simply doesn't open - nothing (not even an error) appears on screen.

Thinking it was due to accessing something earlier than the phone wanted, I've moved as much as possible into a second thread which is created in startApp().

What firmware are you using? I'm on v12.

Cheers,
    Kirwan

Super Contributor

Is this happening with all MIDlets ? Have you tried with a simple "HelloWorld" MIDlet? Does it work fine? Also please check whether there are some other applications running in the background. I dont have an N95 to give a try.

Regards
    Gopal

No, it's not happening in all MIDlets and I don't think it was even happening with an older version of the MIDlet which is failing now, but I have no idea what's started the problem because the phone gives no feedback at all.

After clicking on the icon, nothing even appears in the running apps list that appears after holding down the menu key.

I've found another thread (http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=112252), which suggests this behaviour has also been found on other S60 3rd Edition FP1 devices like the 5700.

Cheers,
    Kirwan

Super Contributor

klyster, are you installing the MIDlet in the phone memory or in a memory card? (And have you tried both - I am not sure if this makes any difference, but I would like to narrow down the possibilities..)

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    klyster, are you installing the MIDlet in the phone memory or in a memory card?
    I had been predominantly installing to the memory card, but had tried both and the same thing seemed to be happening in either case. Unfortunately, having installed two almost identical MIDlets, one on the phone and one on the card, I'm now unable to recreate the problem in either - although I thought it was fixed on Friday until it refused to start at the weekend.

Previously I just had to turn the phone off and back on for it to fail.

The main changes I've made are that I've moved the following into a second Thread created in MIDlet.startApp(), rather than being called inside the static constructor:

• creating a Canvas object, against which I was then using getKeyName() to determine the phone's key codes
    • Display.getDisplay()
    • a few calls to System.getProperty() and Class.forName() to determine the phone's abilities and manufacturer

Why any of those should have caused the MIDlet not to start I have no idea though, especially as it always worked first time. I also tried removing all use of RMS, but that had no effect.

Cheers,
    Kirwan

Super Contributor

In general the MIDlet should not acquire resources before it enters the active state through the call to startApp by AMS. So it is best to keep the constructor as minimal as possible. Check the MIDlet life cycle explanation in the MIDP spec for more details.

The behavior you explain sounds odd, though...

Hartti

That does make sense but most of the functionality in question has been in the MIDlet for a long time.

In any case it's still opening today, so hopefully it's resolved now. Thanks for your comments.

Cheers,
    Kirwan

Regular Contributor

Interesting, so yours works now? I haven't installed anything for a few weeks now, but I'm really suspicious about the cause of the problem. My applications were all fairly simple midlets (that i wrote when messing around with the location api). i eventually resorted to leaving the installers lying around so i could reinstall them easily.

Yeah the problem stopped occurring, having been easily re-creatable before.

Either the changes I mentioned on 7th August did the trick or my phone just stopped acting strangely.

Cheers,
    Kirwan

We experience the same issues. The XS2China application worked fine on the N95 and after a few really small updates we get error reports that it installs fine and after a day (or maybe resetting) the application won't startup anymore.

If anyone has some clues what causes this, we would be thankful.