Discussion Board

Unhappy Question regarding multi threading on different handsets

Hi all,

We have been developing a multi threading application, and so far it works fine for Nokia devices. However, when i port it to Sony Ericsson W880i, some of the threads cannot be started.

In the debug output, there are a few threads running but others just didnt show up; and a weird thing is, at the first line of the app initializing state, we already have 6 threads running at the background, with no idea where they come from.

Did anyone encountered similar problems regarding multi threading in java applications or any suggestions that we could make it work under different handsets?

Thank you very much in advance!

best regards

Have a look at MSA (JSR-248) and it comments of multi-threading. All you can do is nothing except limit the thread amount. The underlying KVM creates one to several threads of its own (main, events, paint, …). I have no idea, how to change that.

Re: Question regarding multi threading on different handsets

Thank you for your reply traud, we are looking into the MSA as you suggested. But how exactly can we limit the thread amount? Sorry, we are quite new into this area. =P

I do not understand your last question.

Nevertheless, as this is a Sony Ericsson issue actually, have a look in their guidelines which states the amount of threads is only limited by the heap of the used Sony Ericsson phone. So you should reduce the heap used by your MIDlet. If this does not help either, check in their forum whether this is correct.

Regular Contributor

sony erricson phone will give u toruble if there more threads and traud is right u better search there forum and find solution. and if u do let me know. i have a similar issue and i have banging my head on there forum for some answer but its been no use.
    Regards
    Nouman

Nokia Developer Expert

Any possibility that your midlet is throwing some exception or error (OutOfMemory, perhaps?) that's not being caught in a try/catch block, or squelched in an empty catch block, and therefore makes you unable to see that some problem is happening?

Daniel

Dear all, thx for your reply. I think I shall change my question since it is not very clear stated. Sorry for trouble you again.

We are quite sure it is not caused by the maximum number of threads allowed by the phone because when we uploading information, we also create extra threads and it works fine. However when we try to download, the threads cannot be started. The structure of the uploading and downloading threads are similar in terms of coding and logic, so I really cannot figure out where the problem comes from.

Thanks for your time and best regards!