Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Expert

Product Oriented Mobile Web Server Available

I'm happy to announce that a more product oriented mobile web server is now available for download.

You can download it from http://mymobilesite.net and soon also via http://www.nokia.com/betalabs, where there are also other cool applications available.

The main difference between Raccoon and MWS, which is based upon Raccoon, is that while the former is primarily intended for hard-core developers and others who don't mind spending time at the bleeding edge, the latter is more geared towards regular end-users. However, the possibilities for customization and for building your own kind of mobsites are still there.

Furthermore, MWS provides https and access control at the gateway, so the possibilites for controlling who can access what, are much improved.

Raccoon will continue to be developed and maintained, with the intention of bringing the S60 port of Apache httpd ever more closer to the other operating system versions, and the Raccoon gateway will also be kept available.

NOTE: You cannot install MWS without first uninstalling Raccoon. In the future, this conflict will be removed.

Johan
    Last edited by jhnwkmn; 2007-06-19 at 13:06.

Re: Product Oriented Mobile Web Server Available

Hey Johan! this is sid here, it seems to me that the new MWS beta supports only the third edition platform.. since i cannot install it onto my n70, any news regarding the compatibility of MWS (final release) with 2nd edition phones is appreciated.
    cheers and thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by sidfirex
    Hey Johan! this is sid here, it seems to me that the new MWS beta supports only the third edition platform.. since i cannot install it onto my n70, any news regarding the compatibility of MWS (final release) with 2nd edition phones is appreciated.
    cheers and thanks.
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that. MWS only works on 3rd edition devices and a 2nd edition version will not be made.

Johan

N80, N92 and N93 seem to be only phones that are supported right now... Are the E-series phones following soon after?

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by omegas
    N80, N92 and N93 seem to be only phones that are supported right now... Are the E-series phones following soon after?
    The software should run on all S60 3rd edition devices, but N80, N92 and N93 are the ones that are officially supported. Just pick 'Other' when registering.

Johan

Ok, it's working on my E70 now. I had to install the package through the PC Suite application installer. The attempt to install it through the phone's web browser ended with an error about the SIS package not being supported...

The "lifeblog" application from the screenshot sonds like it is the very thing I wanted to develop on my own. It's not in the MWS installation. Is this the tool for the uploading content to the blog site?
    Is the blog site and the lifeblog source code available for download for customization? That would be great!

Ben

Wink Re: Product Oriented Mobile Web Server Available

Quote Originally Posted by jhnwkmn
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that. MWS only works on 3rd edition devices and a 2nd edition version will not be made.

Johan

okay thanks for clarifying Johan, cheers. Will find a friend with 3rd edition device to play on.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by stadin
    The "lifeblog" application from the screenshot sonds like it is the very thing I wanted to develop on my own. It's not in the MWS installation. Is this the tool for the uploading content to the blog site?
    What application are you now referring to?
    Is the blog site and the lifeblog source code available for download for customization? That would be great!
    Unfortunately, at least for now, the source code for the default web applications is not available.

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by jhnwkmn
    What application are you now referring to?
    In the screenshot section of MWS is a "Lifeblog" application icon.
    See:
    https://mymobilesite.net/images/scre...enshot0003.png

I thought this is an application to update content of the blog (without having to use the web site), I was on the way to do such thing for myself.
    I'd like to have an application that starts the camera, takes a shot, scales the picture in two sizes (thumb for blog and larger size as thumb link), write a blog text and then it updates the blog by itself.

Unfortunately, at least for now, the source code for the default web applications is not available.

Johan
    Oh. That's quite bad. I'd like to extend and customize it quite a lot. I have some code together for the application mentioned above. I guess I have to spend pretty much time to interact the way I want with the python scripts. Or propably it's better to start from scratch then.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by stadin
    In the screenshot section of MWS is a "Lifeblog" application icon.
    Right, Lifeblog is a different application and you can find more information about it here http://r2.nokia.com/nokia/0,,71739,00.html

Oh. That's quite bad. I'd like to extend and customize it quite a lot. I have some code together for the application mentioned above. I guess I have to spend pretty much time to interact the way I want with the python scripts. Or propably it's better to start from scratch then.
    Also look around if you can find some PHP scripts that do what you want. It's a relatively painless exercise to translate PHP into PSP (Python Server Pages).

Johan

I discovered yesterday, after leaving MWS running all day on my N75, that it ran the battery down much more than racoon seemed to (after 12 hours the battery was flat).

I need to do further investigation, it is possible that I did not leave racoon running for a matching period of time. Wondering if anyone else has noticed something similar.

KjM

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by kjmackey
    I discovered yesterday, after leaving MWS running all day on my N75, that it ran the battery down much more than racoon seemed to (after 12 hours the battery was flat).

I need to do further investigation, it is possible that I did not leave racoon running for a matching period of time. Wondering if anyone else has noticed something similar.
    The connectivity mechanism of Raccoon and MWS is the same in principle, but very different in practice, so it is possible that either one of them consumes more power than the other one.

However, a more likely explanation is the one you suggested (that you didn't leave Raccoon running for a matching period of time) or that the context is different.

For instance, a killer for the battery life (at least in Raccoon's case) is to be just at the border of a 3G cell so that the phone keeps switching between 2G and 3G, Raccoon loosing the connection in the process, reconnecting and thus starting with a frequent keepalive period, and never reaching a longer period before the connection is broken again.

Johan