Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Mobile Web Server beta released

The Mobile Web Server, a concept previously available as the Raccoon project (http://sf.net/projects/raccoon/), has just been released in productised form.

Now anyone can easily host their own mobile website on their phone. The ready-to-use web applications in the release package include a blog, a guestbook, a gallery, remote viewing of contacts and calendar information and more. Advanced users can easily write their own web applications in Python.

Use it, tune it, or develop it - it's ready for trial.

http://mymobilesite.net/

Re: Mobile Web Server beta released

Interestingly, this app appears to contain a Nokia signed version of Python for S60 1.03(22). I haven't looked under the hood, but is this the first pys60 application to be Symbian Signed?

Super Contributor

To my knowledge, yes. It's signed by Nokia and not by a Symbian Signed testing house, though, so the processes used are different.

Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia (manufacturer) signing is not the same as Symbian Signed; the manufacturer can release any apps with any privileges/capabilities they wish for their own devices, without going through Symbian Signed.

If you look in App.mgr. & the certificate details for Python with MWS, you'll see it is signed with "Nokia Content Signing" cert. For a Symbian Signed app, the cert issuer would be Symbian.

Does that mean we could legally extract the Nokia signed pys60 release from the MWS .sis, and distribute it with our own apps? (to cut down on the number of warnings you get when distributing an unsigned pys60 standalone app alongside pys60 itself)

Nokia Developer Champion

I am not a lawyer, but I think it'd be allowed only if Nokia legally and explicitely allowed such extracting and redistribution. Without looking, I suspect it is not explicitely allowed.

Super Contributor

Petrib's reasoning sounds right to me.

The Python in the MWS package isn't too special anyway. It has just user-grantable capabilities so the only advantage is the lack of a warning and the possible need to adjust phone settings. Besides, it won't be long before pys60 is available by itself in a similarly signed form.

Fair point Hopefully it won't be long until we see a production release, although I'm still not clear on how the signing of pys60 is going to work if the end-user has one app that needs a higher degree of capability than another app they have installed.

I doubt the Symbian installer takes into account a wider range of capabilities during .sis upgrade/installation. Maybe we'll end up with several discrete installations on the device, each with different capabilities? (nightmare.)

Having said that.. I just realised that (on my device) my unsigned pys60 installation was upgraded by MWS, and there's a signed pys60 in its place.

Don't recall it asking me to upgrade it... odd!

Super Contributor

The DLLs in the final signed Python are going to have high capabilities, so they'll be usable with practically all applications. The capabilities of your py2sis wrapped application will be determined by the capabilities of the stub exe inside it that starts the application.

Regular Contributor

Just tested the Mobile Web Server,
    a great application which offers a whole new world of new opportunities.
    Is it possible to manage the htdocs content via ftp access?

novis

Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by jfenton
    Having said that.. I just realised that (on my device) my unsigned pys60 installation was upgraded by MWS, and there's a signed pys60 in its place.
    Don't recall it asking me to upgrade it... odd!
    Would you mind to elaborate this a bit?

I have the latest (.22) PythonS60 on my Nokia E70 (3rd Edition Device) at the moment.
    The Interpreter and the Console, both with a self signed developer certificate.

At the moment i am playing a bit with "location.gsm_location()", and there i need the capabilities from the
    devel-cert.

Is this possible with the Python package comming with this "Mobile Web Server"?
    And how is the Python-Console playing here - is it possible (and does it work together), to have the nokia signed
    interpreter installed with the Mobile web server and the self signed console?

I have a problem understanding how the packages are packed together now:
    Previous we had "pythonfors60", "pythonscriptshell" and "racoon" - right?
    Now it seems to me, that "racoon" and "pythonfors60" are packaged together in this "MobileWebServer_beta_v10.sis",
    and this package is signed with a nokia manufaturer cert, which does not have all the capabilities from a "normal"
    devel-cert (as a got it from this thread...)?

Maybe someone can (and want to ) explain this?

Yours

I had the latest unsigned version of PYS60 installed on my device prior to installing the mobile web server sis file. I can no longer access Python which throws up the following error message "unable to execute file for security reasons (-46). Can I just reinstall Python?

Cheers,

Neil

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by novis
    Is it possible to manage the htdocs content via ftp access?
    No, but you should be able to mount the htdocs directory using webdav.

In Internet Explorer:
    • File->Open
    • Enter https://your-domain.mymobilesite.net/WebDav
    • Check the Open as Web Folder checkbox.
    • Press [Ok]

Johan

Regular Contributor

Thx jhnwkmn,

you're right.
    That works fine.

Hi

If you have Python installed remove first before instaling Mobile web Server..
    http://super.mymobilesite.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast