Discussion Board

Logs anyone? Nokia E61, J2ME application won't start

I have developed an application using Ant and Antenna for J2ME. When I deploy it to the phone, I don't get any complaints from OTA installation. When I go to run it however, I get nothing. Not even a dialog complaining about an exception or anything.

Does anyone know if the Nokia phones drop logs somewhere that can be browsed, or do I need to actually install Windows (developing on Linux) in order to have some way of any kind in order to debug this application?

The real annoying part is that the application works in the emulator just fine. Not sure what to check since I don't see any errors in the emulator and can't find errors on the phone.

Super Contributor

Re: Logs anyone? Nokia E61, J2ME application won't start

You could try One Device Debugging (as it works on 3rd Edition devices). However I am not sure if you will get it working with Linux workstation.

What are you doing during the start of the MIDlet?

Hartti

All I'm doing during the startApp() is opening a SplashScreen which is a simple canvas that has a Timer and TimerTask which then returns control to the main midlet which displays a List. Very simple stuff.

There are also times when I do OTA that I also get "Invalid Jar file" and I'm not sure what's causing that. Last time I had to delete the old version of the app (multi midlet package) and reinstall.

Super Contributor

Have you kept the MIDlet name and vendor the same and increased the version number.

I do not have any idea why your MIDlet does not do anything on the real device. Can you try starting with even simpler MIDlet (like Splash only) and add features (Timers and such) untile the problem surfaces.

Hartti

I also would like to know how to access device logs on Nokia devices (or at least E61). Is there something like the Event Log application on BlackBerries that can be accessed through some shortcut key sequence?. Being able to access the logs would make it easier to track down hard to reproduce issues discovered by application users. Any help would be appreciated.

Regular Contributor

I dont think any such 'Logs' are available in any nokia devices. Some time in multi threaded application environment, the application remains running in S60 device without getting to the users notice. Try restarting the phone and opening the application. I had experienced the similar problem once while developing a bluetooth communication app for 3230 ( quite long back ). Or else i think u can track wats happining with the help of some softwares like 'Tasklist' for S60 ( I am not sure ).

Unhappy Re: Logs anyone? Nokia E61, J2ME application won't start

Well, I don't know if it's any help or not, but my E61 stopped running all 3rd party J2ME apps altogether after I upgraded my firmware using NSU.
    Not only that, but most of my perfectly valid software licenses are declared invalid by the device after that unfortunate upgrade.
    IMHO it could have something to do with the privileges/security updates in S60 3rd.

Lightbulb Re: Logs anyone? Nokia E61, J2ME application won't start

Check your MANIFEST.MF files in the jar files. For example when I build stuff using OSX+ant I get these two lines added by my system:

Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.7.0
    Created-By: 1.5.0_13-121 ("Apple Computer, Inc.")

Nokia's phones seem to cough to these and refuse to start the app.
    If I remove those two lines, everything works.

-Pekka