Discussion Board

Thread: gps maps

Regular Contributor

gps maps

I want to create my own GPS system for phones like the N95, but the obvious biggest problem is where do i get maps? Is there any source out there from which maps are freely available, or the data from which maps can be generated. I was hoping to get maps for my home town in South Africa. I don't even know where to start, as searching on the internet you just get bombarded with people trying to sell you GPS software and hardware.

Regular Contributor

Re: gps maps

let me rephrase...where can i get non-proprietary gps maps for use in my own application. i don't mind paying as long as i can get maps for south africa.

It really depends on what you want to do and your budget.
    One solution would be to build an app that uses the browser to go on google maps (www.maps.google.com).
    Another solution would be to access Google maps's provider directly, Navteq. I did a quick check on their website (www.navteq.com) and they seem to be offering their database to developers.

Yes, NAVTEQ does offer sample maps for certain areas around the world. Check out their network for developers website at www.NN4D.com. I just download the sample data for the city of Paris.

Regular Contributor

Yeah, thanks, I got my hands on the data from Navteq and have organised it into a relational database...just now i'm facing the somewhat daunting task of creating maps from raw data...i'm at a bit of a loss as to how to do this. A number of approaches I've thought of:
    1) use standard java mobile drawing operations (almost impossible to get anything worthwhile because of the limited functionality available)
    2) create and render the maps on server and download to device (irritating download delay and cost involved)
    3) use jsr-226 SVG API (seems kinda hard to develop content from scratch from code...performance issues possibly a problem...will i have to split map across different images)
    4) use tinyline SVG API (similar problems to jsr-226)

The main requirement of my system is that the content in the maps should be flexible (i.e. user can specify if he/she only wants basic outline or detailed view).
    Anybody who can advise which of the above options is suitable, please let me know.