Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

KErrPermissionDenied && Nokia N80

Hello

I've written a software (PhoNetInfo --> http://www.patrickfrei.ch/phonetinfo/ <-- freeware) using the SysUtil API to retrieve some phone information. Unfortunately there is a problem with that API in connection with a Nokia N80 (-46, KErrPermissionDenied).

It's already a very long time ago (more than half a year) since Nokia released a bug report concerning that issue:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/..._Nokia_N80.htm

But the problem is still not fixed!!! And users of my software are unable to get it run on a Nokia N80...

- Is there no one at Nokia who could approach that problem??
    - Is there a contact person to whom I could send the issue in connection to my software??
    - Is there maybe a software-based workaround for the problem??

That would be really great!

Super Contributor

Re: KErrPermissionDenied && Nokia N80

How would it be fixed? The phones are already out there and Nokia can't do a recall.

There may be a software workaround to the problem. What information you need to acquire from the API?

Regular Contributor

They could simply release a firmware update that fixes the problem!!

The "KErrPermissionDenied" results due to a problem in the application capabilities... even if you have full capabilities... on an N80 the use of the SysUtil API results in an error...

I really don't know if that can be fixed by the software programmer or if Nokia really has to release a firmware update to fix the problem...

Please let me know if you have an idea!!!

Regular Contributor

Why don't you, instead of leaving with the error, simply check if it's KErrPermissionDenied, and if it is just display "Sorry, can't retrieve this value" on screen and move on...

You seem to be making life incredibly hard for yourself over what is after all, a pretty trivial issue. OK, you can't get anything from that API on the N80, but there's no need for the whole app just to exit...
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by patrickfrei
    They could simply release a firmware update that fixes the problem!!
    I'm aware that they could, but Nokia probably have bigger issues to fix than making an API on this phone accessible for the 3rd party developers that want to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickfrei
    The "KErrPermissionDenied" results due to a problem in the application capabilities... even if you have full capabilities... on an N80 the use of the SysUtil API results in an error...
    Sure, I'm also aware of that. You haven't said which method you need from the API. Tell us what you want to do, and maybe there's a workaround to acheive it. Failing that, CDavies has already suggested displaying an error message to handle the error more gracefully.