Discussion Board

Pool of Players for streaming???

Hi, is it possible to create a pool of players in a S60 phone for streaming sources?
    I've seen an example in the "MIDP: Mobile Media API Developer's Guide" pdf but this one is for files in the phone's filesystem and I don't know how to make it work with streaming sources.

Super Contributor

Re: Pool of Players for streaming???

Hi,
    U can create more than one player at the same time,but cant start more than one player at a single time.Is that what u want or if not please be elaborate in ur question.
    Thanks
    Soku

Re: Pool of Players for streaming???

Ok, I'll try to give more detail.
    I've an app where the user can choose from different streaming sources (RTSP) and this works fine, so I don't have a problem there.
    The problem is that real player takes too long in the prefetching status (about 9 seconds) and I wanted to have all my possible video sources in the prefetched status before the user chooses one of them so it doesn't take that much to start playing the video.
    According to the document I mentioned in my previous post you have to use an InputStream for this to work and I understand that this implies that I have to get the whole file in memory before playing it (which doesn't make sense for streaming). Moreover this doesn't allow seeking in the stream, which I need at the moment.
    So I've tried a similar approach creating players from URI. I've created and prefetched 3 players fine but when trying to start them only the last prefetched one would play, the other ones wouldn't display anything on screen even though no exception would be thrown.

Another solution to my problem would be a way of setting a smaller buffer size for real player but I think that this cannot be changed.

Unhappy Re: Pool of Players for streaming???

Well, following the traffic for 2 RTSP streams being prefetched one after each other this is the RTSP sequence.
    1. OPTIONS-DESCRIBE-SETUP-PLAY for the stream 1.
    2. When the buffer is full Real Player sends a PAUSE for stream 1.
    3. OPTIONS-DESCRIBE-SETUP for stream 2.
    4. TEARDOWN!!!!!!! for stream 1.
    5. PLAY for stream 2.
    6. When the buffer is full Real Player sends a PAUSE for stream 2.

So I guess that Real Player is not capable of keeping more than one RTSP connections open, if I understand it correctly there's no way of having a pool of players for RTSP.
    All these tests have been done with a N92