Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

S60 3rd Edition Emulator IP stack - When will it use the Symbian IP stack again?

I develop a framework that makes use of IP multicast, as a consequence of which it can't be run on the S60 3rd edition emulator. The problem is that the Symbian IP stack has been bypassed in favour of direct hooks in the winsock API, presumably for reasons of ease of use. The problem is that half the API has been left unimplemented, which includes multicast. Trying to join a multicast group just gets you KErrNotSupported.

This is reasonably fine by me. I just do all my development on the UIQ emulator, which is both easy to connect to the internet AND uses the Symbian IP stack. It's also a whole lot faster to start.

But a couple of people have already emailed me to ask about this. It's a bit irritating to have to tell them it won't work.

I've heard rumours that the S60 emulator will go back to using the Symbian IP stack some time soon, with wintap as the connection method. Is this the case, and if so, when?
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

Regular Contributor

Question Re: S60 3rd Edition Emulator IP stack - When will it use the Symbian IP stack again?

Quote Originally Posted by cdavies View Post
    .... The problem is that half the API has been left unimplemented, which includes multicast. Trying to join a multicast group just gets you KErrNotSupported.
    :
    But a couple of people have already emailed me to ask about this. It's a bit irritating to have to tell them it won't work.

I've heard rumours that the S60 emulator will go back to using the Symbian IP stack some time soon, with wintap as the connection method. Is this the case, and if so, when?
    Ah ha! While the silence in this thread is astounding, it explains (in part) why I haven't heard back regarding my own recent inquiries.

I have found some suggested workarounds, but they all seem quite involved. So, to re-ask the question: when might we see either the Symbian IP stack or one that supports features one would have on the phones themselves?
    Last edited by UncleOp; 2008-06-27 at 21:36.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: S60 3rd Edition Emulator IP stack - When will it use the Symbian IP stack again?

Well, it is the first time I see this post (I think) so all I can say for now is that AFAIK there are no current plans to revert to the wintap based solution. I'll try to see if anything can be done about this and how soon but it would need the voice of more than three developers (including me) to make this stick. Anyone else joining the request?

One "comment" I would like to make about the UIQ's emulator and it's configuration ease: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=137080

The solution might be a dual configuration, with a Winsock solution proposed as default install option (suitable probably for most developers) and an advanced wintap option for those who need it.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Re: S60 3rd Edition Emulator IP stack - When will it use the Symbian IP stack again?

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Well, it is the first time I see this post (I think) so all I can say for now is that AFAIK there are no current plans to revert to the wintap based solution. I'll try to see if anything can be done about this and how soon but it would need the voice of more than three developers (including me) to make this stick. Anyone else joining the request?
    :
    The solution might be a dual configuration, with a Winsock solution proposed as default install option (suitable probably for most developers) and an advanced wintap option for those who need it.
    I think the biggest thing is to ask that the ability to change "back" to the non-winsock config not be lost. Ideally it would be a regularly-tested and supported feature; hey, I can dream.

Over in a related thread I have posted an update on the technique needed to make the Olde Waye work.