Discussion Board

Autostart signing problem

My application is a console based .exe I would like to make it run after instalation FR,RI and make it start after rebooting a phone, everything works with developers certificate, without it it doesn't work, I use only Network Services capability.

Is there a way to get a some kind of certificate to allow this application to start on boot and run after instalation without all the stuff with testing paying etc...

or may be there is any other way that doesn't need certifying that application to run it automaticly

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Autostart signing problem

Self-signed applications cannot use the Startup List, regardless of the capability set they need.
    I am not sure about the FR,RI, but it has not worked for me (with self-signing) as I remember.

;/ i don't want to sign this exe because it is supposed not to have GUI, it should be completly invisible not to disturb user, it's going to be between java app and a server on the internet, so I think it wouldn't pass test anyway because it doesn't have a way to be closed, moreover I don't think we have enough time to make it signed.

however, if I make it visible, give a user right to turn it on and off, is there a way to make it turn back on automaticaly if the user turns it off?? (it would be great if I don't have to sign it)

Regular Contributor

"however, if I make it visible, give a user right to turn it on and off, is there a way to make it turn back on automaticaly if the user turns it off?? (it would be great if I don't have to sign it)"

No, Symbian Signed apps must give the user a choice in if they want it to run or not. You can't automatically start on boot, the user has to select that, and you have to be able to reverse their decision at a later date.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

I'm not sure if I understand that, if I can't make application automaticaly run on boot without user making it to do so then what is this for:

Startup List Management API
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Management_API

it's used to autostart exe's, which are supposed no to have GUI, so user doesn't have options to start it or to stop it?? What is more it doesn't work if it is not signed, but You say that it can't be signed if it starts automaticaly??

for me it's little strange, should I write another signed application that will install/uninstall exe application? [for me it doesn't make any sens ---- how to do it??]

thanks in advance

Regular Contributor

Generally, you'll have an application that has a UI, with a settings pane. In the settings, the user can select if they want to start on boot or not, and based on that, the application will write a settings file.

On boot, the application first reads the settings file, if the user wants the app to start on boot, it'll continue starting normally, otherwise it'll exit.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

ok, now I understand but unfortunately it is not what we wanted because now it seems that user has to configure two diffrent applications which is a little bit uncomfortable. However thanks for explanation now I understand, I think so , all this stuff with signing.

ps.
    I'm just curious, there is now way to get a console based application signed if we don't create an icon in the installed folder for it, and don't implement some way to close it??

Quote Originally Posted by marcinkrol84
    ok, now I understand but unfortunately it is not what we wanted because now it seems that user has to configure two diffrent applications which is a little bit uncomfortable. However thanks for explanation now I understand, I think so , all this stuff with signing.

ps.
    I'm just curious, there is now way to get a console based application signed if we don't create an icon in the installed folder for it, and don't implement some way to close it??
    if you got a good explanation why you'd want it.. then everything is possible.

I've gotten something without it's own gui through symbiansigned, but it wasn't autostarted technically.

however, like davies said, you could(should) include another application that would have two choices - autostart or no. that should comply. not sure if you could get by with just using your java app to write ini file somewhere to set the autostart or not(fileconnection api).

well this problem is out of date right now but thanks

I must say that for me this autostart problem is silly, I can't make an unsigned application start automaticaly after installation because user doesn't have control over it and that's dangerous (somehow), I can't make application start automaticaly at startup because it can be potentialy dangerous too....

but I can make unsigned symbian non-gui application start a midlet using just midlets name!! What is more I can make this symbian application watch that midlet and if it's turned off, it can turned back on... So you just need to replace that midlet with with some "dangerous" one and user is going to have some trouble

for me that is more dangerous than starting app just after instalation but it doesn't need any signing

Regular Contributor

I don't understand your explanation of this midlet attack. How would you replace the original midlet? And what could it do that's dangerous, except using up system resources? Generally, why would you want to start this midlet at all, instead of just implementing whatever malicious code you were planning to run in your native code app?

Note that the user would still have to start your application manually every time the device was restarted. Preventing autostarting of non-trusted apps seems like a sensible security measure to me.
    Mobile Sputnik: http://ptrmobile.blogspot.com/