Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Expert

Announcing CodeWarrior End-of-Life

You probably where expecting this to happen a while ago. We are beginning the process to close out the CodeWarrior product which will take place over the coming year or so.

We will stop selling the product in the Estore starting in 2008. We will continue to support users who have technical questions for 1 year after their purchase. This support will not include software patches or new versions of CodeWarrior.

We highly recommend that users start to migrate to Carbide. V1.2, our latest product, has had great feedback from the beta community. It is more stable and more feature rich than the Codewarrior products.

CodeWarrior customers may upgrade to Carbide. The Forum Nokia Wiki has a new page that describes how to do this. You can also contact Sales (sales<dot>Carbide<at>Nokia.com) who will be more than happy to help you out.

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ses_and_Estore

We are still ironing out details on this so don't be shy if you have any questions. You can post them here or send them to the sales team directly.

Thanks for your support!

\Mike Trujillo
    Carbide.c++ Product mgr.

Super Contributor

Re: Announcing CodeWarrior End-of-Life

It is indeed a good move to come out with an integrated feature rich ide like Carbide 1.2 with so many features..something which codewarrior never did provide to the developers..

however my only grudge still with carbide as a developer who has used both codewarrior and now carbide quite extensively is that stability wise carbide is still no where close to what codewarrior was..i am using carbide 1.2 and there are tonnes of issues which still needs to be ironed out with carbide on the stability and end user experience perspective..

For instance :-

1. there is still no reliable way to compile a project with dependencies when one of the dependent libs changes..the only way i know it works for sure is to compile the dependent lib seperately and then clean compile the exe..i would like it that the exe if has dependencies set..should compile only the changed lib and then compile itself.
    2. The process de.exe continues to run in the backend even after closing on device debugging..and then if u compile again it wont let u unless u go to task manager and kill the process explicitly.
    3. Debug breakpoints are so slow that more often then not my app timers and callbacks would get messed up..which makes me rely more on the logging mechanism i have to find the issues rather then the debugging.

I can go on and on on this..!

But i guess every product has an incremental development process and only then does it become stable and qualifies to be called a good IDE/tool/product...

and i am glad that late but nonetheless nokia has taken this step to provide its own ide..

cheers
    mayank

Nokia Developer Expert

Mayank,

Thank you for your post and I hope that you are a member of our beta team. We are going after our open bugs and making improvements to our on-device debugger and comments like yours are extremely useful for us.

I will look more into the problems that you flagged and see if we have captured these in our bug database. If you do want to "go on" and list others please feel free to shoot me an email (first.last at you know where dot com).

Thanks

Mike Trujillo
    Carbide.c++ Product Mgr

Super Contributor

hi,

i just saw this post now..

well i'm a bit worried abt this announcement..

I used both carbide and codewarrior,

codewarrior is much better than carbide of the current version in many aspects.
    like ..

1. u cannot work a pure c based code porting for example upnp open source to move and work in carbide IDE it took me 2 weeks to make it rework
    to port this to carbide IDE from codewarrior

2. carbide takes more time to compile coz of autotools concept during run,build and debug..

3. carbide hangs often during ondevice debugging..
    4. Someone should be familiar with eclipse to work on carbide as it is similar to that.,but i never used it that much to know all the features of the IDE..

and there are a list that goes on..

i want a good reason for stoping codewarrior...

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Nokia Developer Expert

Mateen,

You can continue to USE CodeWarrior (we are not pulling it off your computer) but we are pulling the product off the shelf for purchase.

We are making great progress with Carbide and I expect that many of the problems that you bring up will be addressed in Carbide v1.3

<ul><li>Improvement to on-device debug and general debugger
    <li>Improvements to the builder - faster compilation
    <li>Bug fixes/improved stability
    <li>Several new features
    </ul>
    We are approaching the time for beta testing the v1.3 product and welcome your comments. Other developers have shared some of the same concerns with us. We are making Carbide better and the best way to continue these improvements is to tell us. The beta program for Carbide is coming up soon and I hope you are on the program (see me if not).

Last - when should you move off? That is really up to you. At some point down the road a new SDK will roll out and will not be supported in CodeWarrior. Stay with CodeWarrior but continue to use the free/beta versions of Carbide knowing that Eclipse is in your future :-)

Believe it or not - the very same team that made CodeWarrior are the same people who make Carbide. The first few versions need some work but we are all convinced that this is absolutely the right strategy.

Keep us focused on improving Carbide and you will see a much improved product.

Thanks again for your feedback and continued support.

/Mike Trujillo
    Product Mgr - Carbide.c++

Super Contributor

hi,

thanks for ur comments mike
    no one can pull of my codewarrior that is there in my pc. I installed eclipse yesterday and getting used to it..

Hoping i can get rid of it soon as a good IDE..

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Carbide is matured enough to do the job.

Super Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Announcing CodeWarrior End-of-Life

Carbide.c++ 2.0 has ALL the features for FREE i.e. no licence fee. Which CodeWarrior never had!
    Regards
    Jim

Super Contributor

I like Carbide 2.0, its much more stable and faster then the 1.x family and the best thing is everything is free. On device debugging and memory analyzer were never this easy.

Cheers to Nokia and Carbide dev team

Mayank