Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Regular Contributor

Re: Please use this thread to give your feedback about Mobile Web Server.

Greetings;
    I installed MWS a few weeks ago and have been giving it a pretty good run thru on my N75. First of all I would like to say that its a very neat idea, and the ramifications for future applications being able to be hosted over one's mobile is just plain to see. That being said, I'd like to add a few of my own in addition to some that might have already been stated.

- MWS seems to take over all connections on my N&5; meaning that I cannot have another connected app (Emoze, Jaiku, etc.) running while MWS is. Granted, this might be a memory thing with my device, but its something noticeable.
    - There is no kind of status indicator on the Active Standby screen. Something like uptime, number of connections, or pending messages (gestbook or contact) would be good to have on this screen.
    - As others have noted, there is no way to edit permissions or site admin from the phone.

Feature request
    - is it possible to skin (CSS) one's mobile site?
    - will the final (or future versions) allow one to point a domain name to MWSites (with that DNS and NAMESERVER info being editable on the mobile)?
    - add a means to tag contacts or calendar events as private so that they do not show excpet in a maksed form maybe) when someone allowable is using MWS.

Just a few other notes: I've talked to a few people in non-profit orgs and the idea of the MWS really appeals to them because of how it can connect their workers. Looking down the line, being able to not just hst a site, but share its admin acorss several mobiles (in this case like a director and their assistant and then other staff cna just view like this is an intranet) would make this really cool.

Great product, and I know I am barely tipping teh iceberg with it considering my device. But I do like it, and have chatted about it in a few other places because of how innovative it is (Brighthand article talking about it).

Regular Contributor

Re: My Feedback

I have been running an experiment over much of the past week and into the end of this month where I am using the Mobile Web Server as a replacement website for my blog Mobile Ministry Magazine. After about halfwat thru this experiment, I have some requests and suggestions:

- one can view the MWS on their local device, however because of the amount of scrolling needed, it become tedious to create contnet right from the deivce; I would suggest a mobile friendly CSS so that it would a bit better to get around on smaller devices
    - there is no kind of notification (SMS maybe) when the server stops responding or there is some kind of unauthorized viewing
    - would be nice to have an active screen widget to see how many connections, start/stop/restart teh server
    - lower end N-series phone will have memory issues
    - i have an occasional issue where after turning off the MWS that I cannot do DUN/BT DUN over the device
    - needs to have an easier means of allowing people to view the contnet without needing a username/password. Though, I have found a backdoor, so to speak.
    - when posting comments, in teh blog/guestbook, etc; line breaks are not kept; one has to use HTML to get the output to recognize line breaks

Overall, I am posivite that this could be pretty darn neat. Given teh right device, it could really fly.

To view my site, visit https://mobileministrymag.mymobilesite.net/.py

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Antoine,

first of all thanks for your comments, I'll try to tackle them one by one

- MWS seems to take over all connections on my N&5; meaning that I cannot have another connected app (Emoze, Jaiku, etc.) running while MWS is. Granted, this might be a memory thing with my device, but its something noticeable.
    I suspect this is a limitation in your device, MWS doesn't take over the connection in any way. Maybe you could try using a separate IAP name (like Internet) in your device for MWS, and duplicate that for other online apps.

- There is no kind of status indicator on the Active Standby screen. Something like uptime, number of connections, or pending messages (gestbook or contact) would be good to have on this screen.
    I agree, but active standby integration is not available for 3rd party applications (which MWS is even though developed at Nokia).

- As others have noted, there is no way to edit permissions or site admin from the phone.
    Not sure what you mean, you can always browse locally to the settings and change all there. If you mean not available from S60 UI, that's true.

Feature requests

- is it possible to skin (CSS) one's mobile site?
    Yes, take a look on the user guide, and there is a "commented default" CSS you can easily start modifying.

- will the final (or future versions) allow one to point a domain name to MWSites (with that DNS and NAMESERVER info being editable on the mobile)?
    That is not being planned at the moment. I guess you could use some kind of dynamic IP or re-directing already today?

- add a means to tag contacts or calendar events as private so that they do not show excpet in a maksed form maybe) when someone allowable is using MWS.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Contacts are always private (you can't share them), and Calendar entries are by default too. You can start sharing Calendar entries for visitors, either full details or just the availability info (see Access rights sectoin on Calendar app and Presence).

- one can view the MWS on their local device, however because of the amount of scrolling needed, it become tedious to create contnet right from the deivce; I would suggest a mobile friendly CSS so that it would a bit better to get around on smaller devices
    You are absolutely right, and there is a mobile theme (CSS) being made. You can try it at demo.mymobilesite.net, it will be made available shortly.

- there is no kind of notification (SMS maybe) when the server stops responding or there is some kind of unauthorized viewing
    Yes, that could be implemented but it's not planned at the moment.

- would be nice to have an active screen widget to see how many connections, start/stop/restart teh server
    See my answer earlier. This could be a WRT widget or something like that.

- lower end N-series phone will have memory issues
    True.

- i have an occasional issue where after turning off the MWS that I cannot do DUN/BT DUN over the device
    That might again be an issue with the particular device.

- needs to have an easier means of allowing people to view the contnet without needing a username/password. Though, I have found a backdoor, so to speak.
    It's not a backdoor I guess, just that you can open up the site (see the user guide). There is 'filtering' on the S60 UI settings and then separate access rights for each of the applications. Again see the user guide and help on S60 UI.

- when posting comments, in teh blog/guestbook, etc; line breaks are not kept; one has to use HTML to get the output to recognize line breaks
    That's true, there is room for improvement there.

Regular Contributor

jukkaekl;
    Thanks for those answers. Just a few notes to what you commented towards:

- MWS and USB DUN do work at the same time (using this setup now). It was a memory issue that caused this from happening, but my device, the N75, is certainly at the bottom of those that could pull this off.

- Great on the CSS side of things; that makes me want to go play now

- It wasn't until about halfway thru my experiment that I realized that I could (RAM permitting) use the MWS and then browse to it on the mobile. I would definitely have to create a CSS that is both mobile friendly and desktop friendly to pull it off best though to do things like posting and site admin.

- having a widget or active standby widget would really help; I'll have to bug a few folks once I finish my writeup on this note

Thanks a bunch for the feedback; this has been a great experience in using the MWS so far, and I have some planned usage for it for a more personal approach in time.

Nokia Developer Expert

@ARJW, you can check out our mobile theme in my site at http://jukka.mymobilesite.net. It will be available this week at MOSH, and also inside MWS by next release. It looks nice both at mobile and PC.

N75 is indeed not the most optimal device to run MWS, considering memory and networking. With a device such as N95 the whole experience is more nice, and WLAN helps with speed and data costs as well.

Lightbulb Re: Please use this thread to give your feedback about Mobile Web Server.

Quote Originally Posted by jukkaekl View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. Contacts are always private (you can't share them), and Calendar entries are by default too. You can start sharing Calendar entries for visitors, either full details or just the availability info (see Access rights sectoin on Calendar app and Presence).
    Hello,

I'd like to add one vote for this. I've installed MWS (yesterday) mainly for calendar sharing but without the option to "mask" items marked as private (for private synchronisation), it's nearly useless for me. For example, I don't need everyone to know what I'll be shopping today, but I want some of them to know what (when, where) meetings I have. That's why I save some items for private synchronisation and others as public.

It would be great, if these private calendar items will be named [PRIVATE] or just [BUSY] for example and nobody (or just those I'll grant corresponding privileges) will be able to see their details.

Hope it'll be implemented soon... Looking forward to your replies

Quote Originally Posted by iketo View Post
    We would be very happy to hear your ideas about how we could make MWS even better.

All kind of information is welcomed here so please feel free to share your
    improvement ideas, suggestions or general feedback about MWS.

__
    On the behalf of MWS development team
    Hi there,

not sure if this request relates also to "simple" features, but here you go:

I would really appreciate if my contacts could be seen in the MWS as they are seen in my phone, i.e. name surname rather than surname name.

I also would really appreciate if the contacts would be shown with all details in a single page, in a kind of matrix format, so that I could use that page to have a clear text (html) backup of my contacts.

I found myself a couple of time is the middle of nowhere without battery. If I could keep in my email account an html copy of my contacts, I could have found a way to get in touch with someone even without battery.
    Now that contacts are stored in the phone (rather than SIM), your only way out of a situation when battery is dead is a charger or a friend with same battery. Both not so easy to find on the road. But access your email is quite simpler!

Same thing for the messages. I would like to use the MWS to backup my messages in a clear html format.

I think even if this "backup" is not the main point of MWS, it could be a way to spread the application among less tech-aware users.

Cheers,

alfonso

I've been playing with running MWS on my E61 for a few days, and I've noticed out of the corner of my eye, the back light seems to turn on occasionally.

Browsing my phone via the mymobilesite doesn't trigger the back light, so I was wondering what might cause the screen to turn on and if there was any way of preventing it.

I did just have a mild hint that it might be when the phone is attempting to reconnect to the network after being disconnected.

Thanks,
    Diane

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

This thread has became too off topic and is being closed to new messages.

Ron