Discussion Board

Lightbulb GUI Libraries for Java ME

Hi all,

I've been trying to collect information about all the cross-vendor GUI libraries for Java ME available today (mid 2007 that is). After doing alot of googling, searching forums, harassing all my friends over IM and sending emails to various companies working with Java ME, I've come to the conclusion that there are basically three GUI libraries for Java ME on the market today. None of them are free/open-source and only one of them are available for download before buying a license. Quite sad. So, the ones I've found so far are:

TWUIK (http://www.tricastmedia.com/twuik/) - Looks cool. Seems VERY expensive.
    J2ME Polish (http://www.j2mepolish.org/) - Weird name. Use GPL license if your project is licensed under GPL itself. 990.00 Euro for a single license. Contains alot more than just GUI library.
    TinyLine 2D (http://www.tinyline.com/) - Small and easy to use. VERY portable. Used by Google for Google Maps Mobile. Costs 387.20 Euro. Contains a SVG library that works on ALL MIDP 2.0 devices.

Personally I prefer TinyLine 2D since it doesn't come with a huge set things I will never use but still need to install. APIs should be small and only do what they intend to do. Also, TinyLine 2D is relatively cheap compared to the rest.

Do the rest of you know of any other GUI API/Library that is still active and provide the UI features we all want (i.e., think flashy GUIs)? Preferably open-source.

Until a majority of the handeset owners have devices with support for SVG (2 years ahead?) we really need an alternative. Would anyone here be interrested in working on an open-source API for Java ME GUI? It would be a pure GUI API that would focus on ease-of-use and portability (i.e., MIDP 2.0 only). Maybe something similar to Flash or even Java FX Script (no, Java FX Mobile is not intended for Java ME as far as I know)?

Super Contributor

Re: GUI Libraries for Java ME

Quote Originally Posted by erik.hellman
    Do the rest of you know of any other GUI API/Library that is still active and provide the UI features we all want (i.e., think flashy GUIs)? Preferably open-source.
    Micro Window Toolkit

There's also Synclast but the site is down.

shmoove

Check out my list of J2ME GUI Libraries with short comments to each library.

Regular Contributor

Hi everyone

Well it´s not really true what you say about GUI libraries; Ive developed an advanced library for j2me, the problem? I work for an enterprise and the code is not source code, I would like to post the library and help the community but for now, it´s impossible; Altough I think there are no chances to program gui´s at mobile devices, for example I hate windows mobile gui´s; Im working rightnow in iPhone, and I really like it, I would like to see something like iPhone in Nokia, but I think It´s difficult and it would take a lot of time. At less, we can program devices because there are opened api´s to make it in a proper way because for example in iPhone there is no bluetooth support and there is no java support and that really sucks

BR

I can proposed to your to take a look at Kuix. Actualy it is not open source but you can donwload the bin library and use it for non commercial applications.

Regular Contributor

Hi

Ive watched Kuix, it´s not a bad solution, but it´s not a complete solution with a high mature level because of fails managing memory so I would not consider it like a solution; The problem is, there are only some graphical "libraries" and they are just regular in the properties they offer; the solution is to make your own self library and armored this code. It can take a lot of time, but you will have a real and good solution if you are a good-skill java developer or C++ developer ( for this propose, I prefer programming in C++, at less, is the best programming language of the history)

BR