Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Creating and installing SIS on emulator

Guys,

Objective : To create and install a WINSCW sis file on the emulator.

I am following instructions found at http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ewthread&f=124 here and my objective is to build and install a sis file on the emulator and after researching this I am still failing with 'File Corrupted' when opening the sis file within the emulator.

My Steps :

1. Acquired Developer certificate bound to emulator's 000000000000000 IMEI.
    2. Compile/Linked my project.
    3. Created a pkg file that points to the WINSCW binaries (one EXE and one DLL) instead of the gcce binaries.
    4. Used CreateSis tool to create and sign my sis file. This was fine.
    5. The instructions in the link above in regards to installing the emulator root certificates are a bit vague

"To solve the problem, unzip the file certstore_S60_3rd_SDK.zip to your current SDK installation folder."

So I unzipped the file into my "C:\Symbian\9.1" installation folder and "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32" folder (and a few others too).

What have I missed here ???

I'm guessing that the emulator root certificate installation hasnt been done properly due the the vagueness of that bit of the instructions.

Any glimmering pearls of wisdom would be appreciated. I am wasting time and want to get on with testing etc.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Re: Creating and installing SIS on emulator

By the sounds of it, you're right. There is exactly one file in the package, swicertstore.dat, and it needs to go in \epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\z\resource.

You can check if you've done it right by opening the control panel app on the emulator, and going to general > security > certificates, and making sure Symbian A, B, C and D are present.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

Re: Creating and installing SIS on emulator

Thanks Mr Davies.

Only thing is that when i go into Settings -> Security -> Certif. management I get a crash System Error (-1) which is KErrNotFound, so I'm not quite sure what it is looking for (and that isn't there).

Something has changed though. When i install I get "Unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplier", which is a bit better I guess (hey~! its different to file corrupt). This is because i am using a protected UID I got from symbiansigned judging from the useful http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/view_entry.html?id=93.

I have rolled back to the UID (unprotected) that Carbide.vs gave me and repackaged, but ended up with the generic "Unable to install" message. I am not installing anything in the pkg to a private folder (except \private\10003a3f\import\apps\*.rSC) here.

After doing some research on this I found out that I need to install the certificate to the emulator (because when i got the dev cert from symbian I had no verisign), so I found this useful page http://www.s2.org/~pekangas/creating...tificates.html which told me to convert the *.cer to DER format to use with the device certificate management to install it. This is done (DER conversion), but I cannot use certif management to install the certificate onto the emulator because it crashes.

1. Do I used a UID sourced from SymbianSigned in the protected range for this exercise?

2. How do I get the Certif. Management to work without crashing, is this a problem in my epoc.ini file? I havent found anything on this after researching.

Here is the contents of my pkg file :

Code:
    ; MSCAS.pkg

; MSCAS.pkg

; Languages
    &EN

; Header
    #{"MSCAS"},(0x2000C7D9), 0, 1, 1

; Platform compatibility
    [0x101F7961], *, *, *, {"Series60ProductID"}

; vendor
    %{"PC Tools"}
    :"PC Tools"

; Signature
    *"C:\Projects\SymbianMSC\MSCAS\sis\Emulator\Emulator.key","C:\Projects\SymbianMSC\MSCAS\sis\Emulator\Emulator.cer"

; Target
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\MSCAS.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\MSCAS.exe"
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\MSCAS.rSC"-"!:\resource\apps\MSCAS.rSC"
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\mscasapp.mbm"-"!:\resource\apps\mscasapp.mbm"
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\mscas.mbm"-"!:\resource\apps\mscas.mbm"
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\MSCAS_reg.mif"-"!:\resource\apps\MSCAS_reg.mif"
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\MSCAS_reg.rSC"-"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\MSCAS_reg.rSC"
    "C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\MSCASScan.dll"-"!:\sys\bin\MSCASScan.dll"
    Here is the contents of my epoc.ini file

Code:
    ;
    configuration epoc_352x416.ini
    configuration epoc_416x352.ini
    configuration epoc_176x208.ini
    configuration epoc_208x176.ini
    configuration epoc_240x320.ini
    configuration epoc_320x240.ini
    PlatSecDiagnostics ON
    PlatSecEnforceSysBin ON
    PlatSecProcessIsolation ON