Discussion Board

New Python version

Hello

how can I replace the Python version that came with Raccoon 0.9.2 with the new one (1.40)?
    Simply sign the new Python version (to enable CellId) and then install?
    Or do I need to remove the old Python version first?

-Ueffchen

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: New Python version

Quote Originally Posted by ueffchen
    how can I replace the Python version that came with Raccoon 0.9.2 with the new one (1.40)?
    The Python that comes with Raccoon 0.9.2 is installed as an embedded SIS-file. So, without causing interference with Raccoon, it should be possible to first uninstall the existing Python version (via the application manager) and then install a new one (uninstall followed by install is the suggested PyS60 route).

If that fails, uninstall the Raccoon bundle, and then install Python and Raccoon (not the bundle) separately.

Note that if the Python interpreter API (the one Raccoon uses internally) has changed, then things won't work. I have not tried using the latest Python version with 0.9.2, so I don't know what the case is.

Johan

In another thread, you stated

Namely, the navigator application is likely to use the GPS API of the phone, so there's a separate server that talks with the Bluetooth GPS device. Simultaneously there may be many other clients using that GPS API and they will all get location information. However, as it seems to be, no other client - like raccoonloc.py - can simultaneously connect directly to the GPS device.

This problem will go away when raccoonloc.py also uses the GPS API for getting the location information, but that API is not yet available for Python scripts.
    If I understand right, the latest python release has a GPS API. Assuming somebody would change raccoonloc.py and use the GPS API instead of the native commands, then simultaneous access could be possible?

-ueffchen

Nokia Developer Expert

Assuming somebody would change raccoonloc.py and use the GPS API instead of the native commands, then simultaneous access could be possible?
    Yes, that should be the case.

Johan

Super Contributor

The C++ API of the Python interpreter hasn't changed in a while, so 1.4.0 should work without problems.

Super Contributor

Hello

-Ueffchen
    Note that you need to sign the Raccoon package, not the Python runtime package. The capabilities come from the EXE, the DLL capabilities only determine if the DLL can be loaded or not. The Nokia signed PyS60 1.4.0 runtime package has lots of capabilities so you can just use that and don't need to re-sign or recompile it.

Hi

I have upgraded to Python 1.4.0 without problems.
    I removed both my Python and the Python script from my phone, and then installed 1.4.0 version. The Raccoon package is untouched.
    First test shows that Raccoon is working fine.

BTW, I have signed the Script with dev cert free, following the post of cyke64, where its mentioned that location info needs signing.
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=69904

Next I'll try to modify raccoonloc.py so it uses the new Python API for location. I hope that helps me to run Raccoon and Navigon map application in parallel...

-ueffchen