Discussion Board

Question Problem with S40 5th Edition emulation, NCF 1.2 and BT dongle

I have come across a very frustrating problem with S40 5 th edition SDK/emulator and NCF 1.2. The issue is that I am trying to use the S40 emulation to 'talk' to real BT enabled devices. I use the NCF 1.2 with the environment configured to use the S40 emulation and a BT dongle (a Silcon Wave dongle which is one of the devices supported by the NCF BT drivers).

The problem I have is that whilst I can get the devices S40 emulation and other BT devices eg. phone, PC etc to find each other using normal BT discovery and can get the devices to pair with each other without any problem as soon as I try to use the S40 emulation to do something useful I find the BT connect does not work.

I have been thu the following permutations:

1) Send an image via BT from a S40 emulation to another S40 emulation - no problem, I can discover the other device and pair, connect and send the image.
    2) Try to send an image from the s40 emulation to a mobile phone - I can discover and pair the devices but as soon as I try to send the image the connect fails with the message - 'Bluetooth COnnection failed' even tho the devices have been paired previously without any problem.
    3) When I try to connect Nokia PC Suite (Vn 6.882.22.20) to the S40 emulation, PC Suite can discover the emulation using the "Get Connected' function but the authenticate process fails with a "Cannot authenticate the phone" message. The PC is XP SP2 with the MS BT stack.
    4) A Java program can do both device and service discovery on the S40 emulation without any issue but as soon as I use the service URL to try and connect I get a "failed to connect to socket" exception message.

There is obviously some common thread thru all of these permutations in that discovery works without any problem and connect always fails.

Is it a simple as some authentication type setting on the emulation or is their a bug at the BT level of NCF. Hopefully someone can help with this !

TIA

Neville

Re: Problem with S40 5th Edition emulation, NCF 1.2 and BT dongle

I should have clarified that the two S40 emulations (in 1 above) were running on a single PC using NCF but NOT using the BT dongle.

Neville