Discussion Board

Using a Python Extension (3rd edition)

I downloaded the callStatus package available from: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ht=call+status

The file contains the source and also a PYD file. I want to implement the function is some Python code I've written. Where do I put the .pyd file on my computer so that I can use python to program with it? In other words where does the .pyd file go so I can use "import callStatus"? Or do I need to recompile the files and put a new file somewhere?

Maybe I don't need to put the .pyd on the computer, but I understand the .pyd file is supposed to be transferred to the phone. It is supposed to go to E:\sys\bin or c:\sys\bin. I can't find those folders on the phone.

I followed the steps here: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...tall_libraries
    but was unsuccessful when pushing the .sis to the phone. Also, I don't have a .py file to put in the resource file. I tried installing to the phone memory and to the memory card.
    I get a "application access requirement not granted" error (or something like that).

What step am I missing? Which files do I need to put where so that I can use the callStatus extension (or any extension for that matter?)

Looking into the problem more I realize I may not be granting the program the required capabilities (i.e. NetworkStream, ReadUserData, etc.). Does anyone know which capabilities must be granted to callStatus? How do I grant these capabilities? Do these capabilities even matter?

Thanks for the help.
    Pys60 1.3.22
    Symbian OS 3rd Edition
    Last edited by workmaster2; 2007-07-05 at 18:33.

Super Contributor

Re: Using a Python Extension (3rd edition)

Hi workmaster2,

Maybe I don't need to put the .pyd on the computer, but I understand the .pyd file is supposed to be transferred to the phone. It is supposed to go to E:\sys\bin or c:\sys\bin. I can't find those folders on the phone.
    You got it right! You won't see the sys directory since it is part of the protect area. So it is there but you won't see it from a file explorer. The installer has enough capabilities to access this directory. That's why you need to make an installation package.

Also, I don't have a .py file to put in the resource file. I tried installing to the phone memory and to the memory card.
    If you don't have a .py then skip that part. Make the installation package without !:\resource.

Tell use if you have anymore problems.

P.S: upgrade to PyS60 1.4!!

LFD
    Devices:
    Nokia E61 3rd Edition - pys60 1.4.0

Tips and modules:
    http://www.lfdm.net/thesis

Thanks for the help, but I'm still not having success.

First, I upgraded to Pys60 v 1.4. That all went smoothly.

Then I tried to recompile the .sis based on the .pyd as I had done before. I still get the "program access requirement not granted" error. The installation bar doesn't even show on the screen, so obviously I am doing something wrong.

How do you make an installation package without the !:\resource directory? I'm using emsymble to make my .sis files. Do I need to do the building by hand? I'm following the wiki steps linked in my first post to try and build this .sis package. If I do need to build things by hand please understand that I'm no expert in command line things (command line was obsolete by the time I was out of diapers )

Thanks for the help!

Super Contributor

Code:
    callStatus 
        |_ sys
            |_ bin
                  |_ callStatus.pyd (or whatever its called)
    Back to callStatus location for example (C:\work\)

Code:
    python ensymble.py simplesis callStatus
    Does this work?? If not: next step, send me the .pyd!

LFD
    Devices:

Tips and modules:

Those are the steps I had been taking.

One thought I had is do I need a Dev Cert? The error I'm getting is related to the program not having required access capabilities, so maybe I need a Dev Cert to get that to work?

As far as sending you the .pyd: How is this done? I looked at sending an email to you but I could not find a way to add attachments. The following link should be a direct link to callStatus. The .pyd is there under bin\armi\urel.

http://www.control.aau.dk/~wilken/CallStatus.zip

Thanks for all the help and let me know how I can help you help me

Super Contributor

Hi workmaster2!

So I made a quick research and the module you tried to install is a DLL for 2nd edition. 2nd and 3rd binaries are incompatible...

cycke64 ported it to 3rd edition http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...light=sysagent

usage : same as sysagent 2rd except that callstatus is renamed as call_status()
    There's a selfsigned installation package that should work just fine http://cyke64.googlepages.com/sysagent113.sisx

LFD
    Devices:

Tips and modules:

Thank you so much!

I had seen that post you linked to and misread the date on it. I thought the call status I was trying had been posted after this new post about issues using callstatus on 3rd edition phones. Thanks for pointing that out.

Unfortunately, as is said in the link you just provided, call_status() was removed by cyke64 because he couldn't get it to work in 3rd edition phones. I figured I'd give it a try anyways and couldn't even get the test_sysagent.py file to work. I tried reinstalling the sysagent files, this time to the phone instead of memory card, but was not given the option of where to install the files. I'll work on reinstalling sysagent to the phone and trying again, but seeing as cyke64 never mentioned anything about getting a working call_status() I'm thinking a solution for 3rd edition phones may not yet exist.

Thank you so much for the help lfd. You truly are a Nokia Champion.

I'll post my results later today.

Update:
    I had been installing the sysagent files to the phone. There was an icon that I was misinterpreting when I went to uninstall the files.

It looks like cyke64 was not lying. call_status() was removed and never reimplemented.

Looks like this avenue is at a dead end.

As a side question: How do I uninstall the sysagent files so that if I reinstall them I can choose where to put the files. I'm using an N73 and went to the App Manager application under tools, then found sysagent and removed it. When I try to reinstall the files the phone doesn't ask where I want to install the files. I assume it just installs the files wherever they were previously installed.

Thanks!
    Last edited by workmaster2; 2007-07-11 at 17:34.

Super Contributor

If you installed it with a sis just go to the app manager, you'll find it listed there.

Concerning installing the extensions on the memory card, I don't recommend it because you will get difficulties if/when you make standalone applications. It doesn't find the libraries on the memory card.

I have been exchanging emails with cycke64 today. So I confirm it hasn't been implemented. Not just yet

I got the source and tried to see what I can do, but the days has seen long and the shell stop the compilation after hundreds of errors. I'll check CTelephony to find the matching function for 3rd edition.

LFD
    Devices:

Tips and modules:

Hope things are going well,

I was just curious if you had had any luck with the callStatus extension? I certainly have not

Thanks for the help

Super Contributor

Hi workmaster2,

No luck at the moment .

I keep you informed if I find an easy solution.

LFD
    Devices:

Tips and modules:

Thanks LFD.

I was able to solve my socket reconnect problem thanks to your help as well. Good luck with your research!

any luck wht porting sysagent and callstatus to s60v3??? if anyone has please let me know