Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Cool Partnering for open souce project/access to video APIs?

Hi everyone,

Movino (www.movino.org) is an open source project for streaming video from Series 60 phones. Currently, Movino uses software MPEG and JPEG encoders. Since there is not much power in FPU lacking ARM 9 processors, the video enconding doesn't give high enough frame rates for watchable video.

We'd like to implement video encoding using native Series 60 video encoding API. However, as told in the extract before, this is available for Forum Nokia partners only.

>>>The MDF DevVideoRecord API has been introduced in S60 3rd Edition. It is,
    however, not in the S60 SDK but available to developers through partnering
    through Forum Nokia. This API can also be used for encoding frames that
    are not from the camera (for example, a video editor application, or a
    standby splash screen in video streaming).

(http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._0_en.pdf.html)

So,

1. Is it possible to use this API in open source projects? Namely, the calls for the API must be published, though there is no requirement to redistribute the secret video encoding libraries and other NDA information.

2. Is it possible for some of the project code developers become partners as individuals?

3. If not, we have one possible company backing up the project. If the company hires (for a nomimal fee) some of the project core developers and takes care of the legal aspects of the project, could this open the door of high quality open source Series 60 live video streaming for us?

4. The worst option is to distribute the video encoder as a "binary blob" which doesn't have open source code, but is linked against the open source code.

See related discussion:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...newthread&f=40

Cheers,
    Mikko Ohtamaa
    Oulu, Finland

Re: Partnering for open souce project/access to video APIs?

Hi Mikko,

Are there any news regarding this project?
    I'm wondering that nobody continue with the developing of Movino.

Regular Contributor

BPelhos,

Movino is still maintained and developed, although I haven't had time to make any new official releases. The latest version in SVN has some new features not found in the 1.0 release, and I still do plan to add more features, but I'm currently mostly limited by lack of time.

// Martin

Hi Martin,

Nice to hear about the development.

I tried to find something about the J2ME client, because it does not work for me (only tested on a N6230, Null Pointer Exception by the Device Test). But nothing found (no supported devices list, no discussion forum, no bug reports, ...). I think that your work is very interesting so it's strange for me that no response found regarding this.

I have checked the SVN tonight but have seen that the J2ME folder still contains the initial upload. After that I have checked m.bambuser.com site and found that you did not offer the J2ME client for the mobile users.
    Do you have any plan to develop to this platform to, or you focus on Symbian?

Regular Contributor

I didn't develop the J2ME client myself, another person of the team did that one, and he has no plans to continue the development of that version. Also, the J2ME client is known to work only on some phones, this is quite publicly acknowledged.

Currently, I have no direct plans for continued development of the J2ME version.

// Martin

Thanks for the correct answer.

Smile Re: Partnering for open souce project/access to video APIs?

Hi Martin:
    It is great that Movino is still maintained and developed.I am studing this project. waiting for the new version and new feature.

Joseph

Regular Contributor

Mikko,

I don't know whether you'r still considering using the hardware video encoding with Movino. If you do, the Movino server still needs to be able to receive MPEG-4 data which it got no support for today (what I know of).

However, if anyone is interested in developing this MPEG-4 support then please reply! We may cooperate somehow as I might need it in the future.

Hi,

Great to hear about movino but it currently does not support windows i am trying to port movino on windows platform so i need some basic information about movino like

1] in which formate movino sending data?

2] how movino convert data to flv formate?

Thanks