Discussion Board

7710 Emulation: pls answer

I see a lot of unanswered posts about the 7710: i hope that i do not fall in this case...

I need to emulate the 7710 to do some tests with themes and some freeware apps. I was thinking that i can "install" that apps with the emulator and see what they do, or just test some themese with the emulator.

I'm a programme, i'm sure i've missed somewhat, 'cause after reading all docs about the emulator, i've not found a way to change what it's emulating.
    It, by default, starts with something that seems a really old "prototypre" of the 7710.
    There's a way to use a backup of my phone as "starting status"?

Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

Re: 7710 Emulation: pls answer

The reason why 7710 questions ahve left unanswered is that there is not many developers working on the device and the platform it is based on (Series 90) has been discontinued. Yes it is a nice touch-UI device, I admit...

(Disclaimer: I have not used that SDK myself, but my answers are based on my experiences with other Nokia SDKs)
    The SDK is likely based on 7700, an older device. (does this look the same http://images.google.com/images?q=No...ct=title)There is also likely no skinning available, unless you hack the skin yourself.

I have not yet seen any emulator which would support backing up the contents from your phone as starting status.

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti
    The reason why 7710 questions ahve left unanswered is that there is not many developers working on the device....

and the platform it is based on (Series 90) has been discontinued.

The SDK is likely based on 7700, an older device. (does this look the same http://images.google.com/images?q=No...ct=title)There

A great example of professionism...if this word exist in englis.

is also likely no skinning available, unless you hack the skin yourself.
    This is the only thing that i don't care...

So, if i've right understood, i've bought a piece of "abadonware" for 300€ (wich was a good price, compared to other stores), with an abandoned OS and without any other support/developent other than usual warranty.
    I was thinking at Nokia as one of the best customer supporting brand (thinking not only at Nokia Customer Care, but also at the availability of other software/hardware). This is not always true, now.... sad, i've learned this with an "almost top" product.

I have not yet seen any emulator which would support backing up the contents from your phone as starting status.
    this makes me wonder: nokia release updates for his cell firmwares (there's still one for my "abadonware").... how to keep the emulators updated, too, if they have "fixed" configuration?

P.S.
    Many thanks for your answer... it's a shame that you gave me only bad news

Super Contributor

parduz,

I realized my answer might have given a somewhat worng impression to you. When I said

"The reason why 7710 questions ahve left unanswered is that there is not many developers working on the device"

I meant that as many of the questions are answered here by other fellow developers, if there is not many people developing on these devices, you will not get many answers either.
    Also announcement to discontinue the Series 90 platform was made more than two years ago.

In general: There are no updates for the emulator firmware. This has been suggested on these forums also earlier and I passed the suggestion to the SDK team. I do not think this is possible in the short term future.

Hartti