Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

Exclamation Question for experts

Hi guys!
    I need install my *.prt module to 3rd device.
    It is will intercept IP packets (via IPHook API).
    I have my "sis" signed by manufacturer approved certificate,
    but when I tried to install it to device, I received next error:
    "Unable to install. Install base package first".
    I can't understand, what I do wrong...
    I tried install only prt file to c:\sys\bin folder and then install my own esk file(via separately SIS).
    But I got another error : "Unable to install". I think this error is occur, when I try writing file to private folder of another application.
    I am really confused
    PS: I have readed "HOWTO install an esock protocol after market.doc"
    and my pkg file is same.

Please help.
    Thanks in advance.

Regular Contributor

Re: Question for experts

This installation error message is usually received when you try to install an updater sis file instead the main application.

In less words, you try to install the sis file built with a pkg file containing "TYPE=PU" instead of "TYPE=SA"

Check the Symbian doc (search for "PKG file syntax"), change your PKG accordingly, build the sis and install it.

Regular Contributor

Installing after market IP hooks relies on the presence of the c32exe stub SIS file in ROM. If the manufacturer chooses to omit that file, then you can't install your hook. This does have to be a concious choice, since it's exported by Symbian's base system by default.

It seems that Nokia have chosen to omit it from some or all of their phones. I did a quick check on an E61 I have to hand, and it isn't there. I can't be bothered to check any others, but you can check for yourself by looking in z:\system\install for c32exe.sis.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

Regular Contributor

I used TYPE=SP. It is was described in documentations.
    And I used SID 0x101F7989 and ":symbian" line...
    My pkg file is same with example esock_aug.pkg. I have changed only name of package. But it is still not worked.
    "Unable to install. Install base package first"

Regular Contributor

use TYPE=SA for new applications

use TYPE=SP or PU for update installation (application already installed, you only update a component)

use TYPE=PA for pre-installed applications

In your case you will need a new sis file, SA type. Just change the line of your PKG from SP to SA, rebuild the sis file, sign and install it. It should work

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply Iulian,
    Regarding doc: "HOWTO install an esock protocol after market.doc"
    I should use TYPE=SP.
    I have tried now (how you said), but now I received new message: "Unable to install".
    I sure it is should be SP (patch).

"SA - When upgrading a package of type SA, the original package is entirely replaced by the new one. Any files not re-delivered by the new package are removed from the device. After the upgrade has completed, the new package cannot be removed separately from the original; to remove the upgrade, the entire package must be removed.

SP - A patch, specified using the SP package type, is an augmentation to an existing package, for instance additional levels for a game.
    A patch differs from a partial upgrade (see the next bullet point) in that it can only add files; it cannot overwrite files, and it can be uninstalled separately from the package it is augmenting. If a patch tries to modify or replace an existing file, the installation will fail.

Possible, somebody had same issue earlier?
    Please help.

Super Contributor

Use SP as you are making a patch (augmentation) to the existing C32exe stub sis file so you can add to the comms layer.

I am not 100% sure you can acutally add aftermarket hooks on Nokia devices though.

The documentation you refer to is for the Techview kits from Symbian, and these have a very annoying habit of getting broken when Nokia get their hands on it.

Regular Contributor

Yes, Nokia really don't like this sort of thing. In the pre-platsec world, they just hacked the loader so it wouldn't load any sort of device driver that wasn't in ROM as I recall.

Now, they just exercise the full array of security measures that platsec gives them. It was always our plan to not allow upgrades to anything that didn't have a ROM stub. If Nokia choose to remove c32's stub, then that's their right.

Also, Julian, please don't reply to threads where you don't really know the answer. You're just confusing the original poster. They really do want to use a patch.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

Super Contributor

SVat sent me the files (We are having a seperate email conversation) and it installs fine on my E61 so it might be a ROM issue or a certificate issue (My devcerts have quite a high capability set)

I do get the "Update error" issue if I try to install over an existing installation of the PRT which is what I would expect anyway.

The C32exe.sis stub is in on the ROM (z:\system\install)

Regular Contributor

Thanks Paul.
    Seems I have problem with certificate?
    We request Manufacturer approved certificate from NOKIA and received
    it. But NOKIA allows to us only CommDD capabilities. Their technical team said us that it will sufficiently...
    (We have requested some functionalities yet, but we received answer " we can only grant you the CommDD capability").
    Possible I needs additional capabilities yet?

Regular Contributor

Indeed, you could have problems with the certificate, in the sense that the same set you describe in your MMP file must be also supported by the certificate you use.

Regular Contributor

Here is capabilities from my mmp file:
    CommDD
    PowerManagement
    ReadDeviceData
    WriteDeviceData
    TrustedUI
    ProtServ
    NetworkServices
    LocalServices
    ReadUserData
    WriteUserData

and from manufacturer approved certificate:

UserEnvironment
    SurroundingsDD
    ReadUserData
    LocalServices
    NetworkServices
    SwEvent
    ProtServ
    TrustedUI
    WriteDeviceData
    ReadDeviceData
    PowerMgmt
    CommDD

and IMEI number of my device was typed in request for my certificate.
    But while it is not works yet

Super Contributor

My understanding is this: (Feel free to correct me here) but as the PRT is loaded into the Comms RootServer process and this process requires the following capabilities:
    (From c32exe):
    CommDD PowerMgmt ReadDeviceData WriteDeviceData TrustedUI ProtServ NetworkControl NetworkServices LocalServices ReadUserData WriteUserData.

Your PRT's MMP/Binary would require at least these and so your devcert should reflect this at least. (Currently it only has COMMDD adn Read/Write device data)

In general your request to Nokia should needs to explain in detail why you need the capabilties, not that you are doing something and think you need the capabiltity.

I am still amazed that 2 years after platsec is released, there is still no definitive list of what capabilties are required for each API.

Super Contributor

The PRT you sent me did not have these capabilities.

Use elftran -dump -s <your prt file> to get the capabilties on the prt.

I think you should focus on getting the sis file to install first, then getting the prt to load (two seperate problems)

As I said, the sis file installed with an all-tcb certificate and thats as far as I got, i.e I did'nt attempt to see if it loaded or ran

Super Contributor

It looks like you are missing network control in the mmp and devcert