Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

n73 camera capture functionality

Hi all,
    I am trying to make a midlet that uses the camera of an n73. As I need to take photos of text I would like to enable the macro mode and autofocus. I am unsure if this is possible through J2ME but have found this page http://forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia..._1_en.zip.html
    which seems to suggest it is possible through symbian c++.

I am relatively new to midp programming and have no idea about symbian. Will I have to use symbian for the whole application if I need the camera functionality?
    If it is not possible to access the camera functions through Java can I make a combination of a symbian and midp application?

the use of symbian would restrict the portability to nokia phones wouldn't it?

Thanks in advance for any help

Super Contributor

Re: n73 camera capture functionality

Accessing autofocus and macromode is not possible through Java on N73. If you want to use those, I would suggest you to implement the whole application with Symbian C++.
    MIDlet and the native app could talk to each other using a socket connection (see midpjni.com for details) but I do not think that this approach would work well in here

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your answer. Just wondering why you think midpjni would not work well in this case?

Super Contributor

Some thoughts

Well, you already need to implement the macromode handling and the autofocus in the native app, and to achieve seamless operation, you likely need to implement the picture taking too in Symbian C++. So why not go all the way than trying to hack around the Java sandbox?

You need to have the native app running on the background. You cannot start that from the MIDlet. So you have to ask the user to start two applications or then you need to start the native app at the phone start-up. But what happens if the user closes the native app running on the background and then tries to use your app?

Depending how you divide the tasks between the Java app and the native app, there will be a number of API access confirmations asked. By using native app only you will get rid of this.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your help.

It's so annoying that this phone doesn't support JSR 234!!! if only I had known before I bought it. My application can take photos, they're just not focused at all.

looks like my only options are:
    -try and return the phone
    -implement my whole application in c++
    -or make the user take the photo in the normal camera application - save it - then open my midlet and load the image to do the further processing.