Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbian alternatives

First of all, I am Symbian loyalist in more ways than one.

However, a few incidents over the past year have put a bit of a dampner. An acquaintance at MIT's Media Lab was all for linux mobile OS. So, I was wondering if anyone has any views on Openmoko?

Is Openmoko (http://www.openmoko.com/) the answer to:

a) lack of developer community engagement while deprecating APIs. For e.g., obtaining location-string from Cell Broadcast Message not feasible in 3rd ed.
    b) rude moderators at Forum Nokia

Would greatly appreciate all comments.

Best,
    wirefree101

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Symbian alternatives

Sorry wirefree101, I do not have any comments on the Openmoko (I have not familiar enough with that platform).

However I would like to know what do you mean with the "rude moderators at Forum Nokia"?

First of all, I am sorry to hear that you feel that way.

To be able to investigate this in more detail: Could you please give me a specific example? If you feel more confortable in sending me the comments in private, you can do it through my screen name.

best regards,
    Hartti

Regular Contributor

Hi Wirefree101,

I can not agree that the mods are rude.

However it is true, that Symbian / S60 / Nokia is lacking easy and well documented access to vital API's.

We as company are looking into the direction of Windows Mobile as alternative.

br, Marcel

Nokia Developer Expert

Also note that moderators have something like "Forum Nokia Expert" tag on them, Champions are just external individuals that are usually not moderators.

Anyway, would also be interested an example of Rude behaviour, since I'm rather sure it has been unintentional if such behaviour have been happening.

yucca

Regular Contributor

I wanted to refer to "Forum Nokia Champion" only. Please accept my apologies for the misguided diatribe.

More importantly, with regards to the API deprecation issue, I still await a response or intimation as to the reasons behind changes in location-based functionality available in 3rd ed.

We are firm offering location-based products and our key offering has suffered a serious setback on account of the above. Not being able to service 3rd ed. users sufficiently limits our market.

Would greatly appreciate views on the subject.

Best,
    wirefree101

Regular Contributor

I don't get it... if this is really so important to your company then why don't you chuck a couple of hundred euros at the problem and raise an API partnering request? It's not like getting a cell broadcast packet has ever been possible using only public APIs.... The only reason non-partners have been able to do this on previous versions is because headers were reverse engineered/leaked.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

Regular Contributor

Do appreciate the suggestion, cdavies-nokia. Post budget constraints considerations, I will consider the option.

To my dissapointment, however, it was observed that the implementation of cell_ID in 3rd ed. is tenuous. I am referring simply to what shows up on the top right corner of the home screen.

I half-recoil the statement in lieu of the small sample size of handsets this was observed on. Nonetheless, the concern exists.

Best,
    wirefree101

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wirefree101
    First of all, I am Symbian loyalist in more ways than one.

However, a few incidents over the past year have put a bit of a dampner. An acquaintance at MIT's Media Lab was all for linux mobile OS. So, I was wondering if anyone has any views on Openmoko?

Is Openmoko (http://www.openmoko.com/) the answer to:

a) lack of developer community engagement while deprecating APIs. For e.g., obtaining location-string from Cell Broadcast Message not feasible in 3rd ed.
    b) rude moderators at Forum Nokia

Would greatly appreciate all comments.

Best,
    wirefree101
    Speaking on OpenMoko,its still in a very nascent stage and just to prove my point just check this link :
    http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Developer_preview
    Also as far as Symbian is concerned just knowing the installed base size should make you go for it.
    --Mayur.