Discussion Board

Bluetooth problems with selectService()

Hi, I can't use discoveryagent.selectservice() method (on n. 9300) to find devices with specified service return null. i learned somewere that is problem with symbian (it was stated on some forum dated 2005).
    Did anybody manage currently to discover other devices by selectservice()
    method?

Nokia Developer Champion
    Any reason for using this beast? I guess the other side is a Sony Ericsson …
    Last edited by traud; 2010-07-13 at 15:24.

Re: Bluetooth problems with selectService()

my aplication is intelligent house system and i trying to controll it via mobile trough bluetooth (free of charge and local service). the problem is that most mobile phones are class 2 - bluetooth and maximal range is about 10m (open area tested by nokia 9300 and pc usb-bt class 1 dongle). so the bluetooth radios must be spreaded through whole house to cover all space. there are two possibilities to connect to multi bluetooth devices discovering them one by one and checking devices if it is valid device (cost a lot of time) or selectservice() to connect to first bt device in range. on the other side will be most probably Bluegiga wt11 devices which are currently tested by me and can be used as wireless transparent serial port.

JSR-82 API for OBEX Image Transfers Problem

Dear all,

i would like to ask you regarding the JSR-82 API for OBEX Image Transfers, Actually i downloaded the source code from developer.sun.com, and i tried to run the application but i am receiving couple of errors regarding " import org.netbeans.microedition.util.* " , and the error is

" import org.netbeans.microedition.util.* does not exist."

Could any one please help me how can i resolve this problem.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Champion
    robja, for testing I recommend to do a device and service discovery and check whether getConnectionURL returns Null, too. Furthermore, I recommend to compare the duration (time it takes) of selectService and this complete device/service discovery. Have you done that already?

atiqkamran, let us continue there…
    Last edited by traud; 2007-07-26 at 14:07.

traud,
    device and service discovery works ok sometimes it takes up to 10s - quite a lot. i tested with one bluetooth device in the neighbourhood and it could be more if it there will be more devices in range. Verification is expected to connect to valid device (from list) and java is very slow.
    Sometimes Java midlet crashes returning symbian error 6003 or other.

I didn;t managed to use select service at all (i tried to "selectservice" many deviceces bluetooth usb dongle, other nokia mobile, wt11 bluetooth module by bluegiga) it always returns null. I tried all possible combinations. I heard it is symbian problem but i'm not sure.

there is another issue with device discovery it occupies bluetooth resources and when i'm connected to 1 service of my mobile phone it doesnt work at all.
    eg (I have file transfer or dial-up activated from pc) and i try to do device discovery. thats another reason i'm trying to resign from device discovery.

I can't also discover IRDA and use irda from java is this common problem for nokias?

Nokia Developer Champion
    getConnectionURL works? Interesting. Well then, I have no solution except to try more recent Nokia S60 devices like a 3rd Edition with Feature Pack 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by robja
    Verification is expected to connect to valid device (from list) and java is very slow.
    Do not understand what you mean with ‘verification’ and slowness.
    I heard it is symbian problem but i'm not sure.
    Use a Nokia Series 40 or Sony Ericsson as cross-check. Furthermore there, check wether selectService is really that much faster. I doubt.
    device discovery […] occupies bluetooth resources and when i'm connected to 1 service of my mobile phone it doesnt work at all.
    As far as I know, this model does not allow a page scan while connected. Using selectService will not cure that (see the Bluetooth properties of the LocalDevice class/object, take this as hint only).
    I can't also discover IRDA and use irda from java
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=48621

Hi traud
    My aplication is BT mobile phone controller for intelligent house system, and due to class 2 devices of mobile phones i have to install more than one device to cover expected range by bluetooth.
    Bluetooth modules (SPP) are connected to "RoomManager" - uC which is connected by uart and latter on sends data (copy bt data) to host PC computer via rs485.
    Apparently there are possibility to find other "foreign" devices which supports SPP to which I can't connect by a mistake.
    So I have list of valid bluetooth devices because almost each device support SSP, and asumming there are more bluetooth devices in range: phones, bt dongles on pc, and I have to connect only to my specific SPP service.

Asumming there will be several "OTHER" devices out of my system, device discovery is slow because it discovers one by one with some spaces by each other, (1 or 2 sec) and i have to verify (compare to my list) during discovery that this is host of my application services, and this is the slowness i mean. (There are some handshake between bt devices to not transmitting at the same time i assume). I found on some doc from sun that selectservice is much faster than device discovery and do not block so much resources, thats the reason of my question.

I have only nokia 9300 for test and temporarily this is target device (PDA) due to other functions and i have no resourses to shuffle mobiles one model by another so probabbly i have to leave software as it is and works (sometimes ).

I saw this post re IRDA and tested on nokia 9300 and it returns null for commport as well as nokiacomm.

Thanks anyway for help

Nokia Developer Champion
    You have to test it. I doubt as device discovery has nothing to do with service discovery. Internally, selectService has to do the same from my point of view. Perhaps there is a trick I miss.

Furthermore, I highly recommend to change your service to non-SPP (create a unique private UUID). This way service discovery will be faster. Additionally, when you use SPP UUID in selectService there is no guarantee to get a correct device at all. I am sorry, I do not understand you.

How do you call selectService (which parameters are you using)?