Discussion Board

E90 and embedded application

I hope you guys at Nokia are reading that forum.

I wanted to make the point that embedded application are overused in S60.
    On some devices it was bothering me already but on the E90 which is truly a multitask device given the huge amount of RAM it just does not make any sense IMHO.

Embedded application basically causes an application to look like it's another application. For instance your Messaging application embed your SMS editor.

Embedding an application is good to force the user to finish what he was doing before moving to something else thus preventing the user to open too many applications and use up all your device's RAM.

Yet when on E90 the file manager embed the music player thus preventing you to browse for files unless you close the music player. That's quite frustrating. It is also completely confusing. In fact once you happily launched your music player by opening your MP3 file from the file manager you just can't use your file manager any more!?! You can try bring it back in anyway you want (menu, task bar) you just see the music player!?!

What I'm trying to say here is that when you select the file manager icon you want to see your file manager not your music player. If that's confusing for me who understands the ins and outs of the S60 platform it must be a total heresy for your average user.

If you get the SMS editor when trying to bring up the messaging application you tend to understand that you were in the middle of writing an SMS and you have to close it now. But that file manager/music player thing just does not make sense. File manager should launch applications not embed them.

On top of that, one might argue that being able the edit 3 SMSs at the same time could be useful too and E90 should be able to handle that without any problem so even embedding the SMS editor in messaging is questionable with such a powerful hardware.

Now that's funny cause that whole thing kinda make me realise that with time and constantly improving hardware capabilities S60 will have to evolve to behave more and more like a desktop OS (not to say MS Windows)

Which means that unless S60 manages that turn nicely end-user might actually prefer Windows smartphone to S60 for high end devices at least.

Having say that E90 is just an amazing piece of technology!!!
    Last edited by lenclud; 2007-07-31 at 03:47.

Re: E90 and embedded application

Did I forgot to mention I was a fan of the Communicator series? Even more so now that the E90 is out

Super Contributor

hi,lenclud,

I'm a die hard fan of communicator series coz bcoz this platfrom only symbian was able to make other refernce designs s60 and uiq..

I'm very intrested in seeing how the s60 is modelled for the communictor series ..

coz that will clear all the frames from the base platfrom...

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Overall they did a very good job in adapting S60 to the communicator form factor and the small screen which is your now standard QVGA gives you all the best user experience from your average S60 phone.

One glitch though, I find the 2 soft keys concept of S60 just does not fit well to the wide screen. More over the fact that you have to rich out for the buttons on the side of the screen to bring up the menu or navigate back can be annoying sometimes.

I confirm it would be much nicer if the soft keys were sitting on the keyboard by the direction pad cause it's quite a long way for my lazy thumb from the direction pad to the side of the screen, and all that just to bring up a menu then you have to go back to the direction pad to select the desired menu item.