Discussion Board

Performance of Nokia 6681 in the US

Hi,

I purchased a Nokia 6681 (not available in the US. What we have here is a similar model - 6682) when I went to India in 2005. I am facing severe signal challenges with this phone. When others have a band or two, I would not have any signal at all. Also, while driving and talking, the signal just dies when I reach a spot where the signal is low (as opposed to the connection becoming poor and then picking up) and after few seconds it comes up again. Of course, by then the connection is lost.

Could anybody help me by telling me how I could take care of this problem? I spoke to Cingular, but they would not help me.

Anil

Super Contributor

Re: Performance of Nokia 6681 in the US

Hi anil_nandagopan! Welcome to Nokia Developer discussion Boards!!

Please note that this Nokia Developer Discussion Boards. Nokia end user products support questions should be addressed at Nokia's online support sites http://www.nokia.com/support .
    Also there are some localized product support forums and one that is monitored and where you can get attention and solutions http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discussions/. If you post your concerns there you may get a response from there.

Regards
    Gopal

Super Contributor

The 6681 is a "tri-band" phone supporting 900MHz, 1800MHz and 1900MHz frequency bands. Only 1900MHz works in the US, and if in the US you have not proper 1900MHz reception, then it will not work (e.g., you could be in a 850MHz network area, where the 6681 cannot operate).

Super Contributor

As an addition to petrib's comments
    I have used quite a few European phone models (having only one of the two U.S. GSM frequencies) here in various parts of U.S. Definitely the reception is worse than with phones supporting both of the frequency bands, and in some places you do not have reception at all (been in that situation for a couple of times..)

Many of the newer phones support 4 different frequency bands (2 for U.S., 2 for Europe) so the situation is getten better in that sense.

There is no way to make the reception of your phone better in U.S. (other than if the carrier builds way better coverage for their 1900 networks - which is very unlikely). And hoping that the whole world would start using the same GSM frequencies will definitely not happen.

Hartti

Thank you so much, everybody. I guess I have my answer now. Either junk it or learn to live with it

I love the MS Outlook Synch features and many other cool features of this phone. Anywayz, as you said, I probably can't expect the whole world to change to make my life easy.

Thanks again, guys!