Discussion Board

Red face N95 Runners edition - 2

I want a an N95 with a application for running like the Garmin forerunner can do. Measuring heartrate via communication with a heartrate belt, calculation of velocities, tracklength, phantomchase, personal training profiles updated with th PC etc...

These options become realizable with the n95. Is there a software?

Also posted in the general discussion section

Re: N95 Runners edition - 2

Thanks a lot! looks like a good program. But is there heartrate measurement included?

Sports Tracker is a handy program, but it doesn't do heartbeat, and I would be careful about relying upon the GPS to do accurate measuring of your running. I posted a detailed entry on my blog yesterday that shows some of the results from using GPS on the N95 with Sports Tracker.

http://wubbahed.com/2007/07/12/gps-quality-on-the-n95/

I'd love to hear feedback anyone else has on the article as well.

You're right, thats weird!

I think one of the problems of such software in general is that it is extremely unintelligent itself. This problem could become solved if the actual track would be fitted to roads that were probably used and the 'edges' therefore cleaned out of the track.

In my job I am working on particle tracking in biological images and for better fits I remove such edges using smoothing operations. So in your second example (linear parcour just along a single road) the exact determined position between A and B is unimportent. With a smoothing operation the edges would be taken out of the line. Defining roads as possible points of appearance the line would also be straight. You could now argue that you will find yourself in a crossroad. Here one could say for running define an upper velocity threshold of 25 mph that rarely people would exceed. So if there is a hard edge the velocity increases to unrealistic values between two points and the position in the crossroad would therefore be denied and the real position on the straight track defined.

One could also set landmarks manually. So that one could draw the track first on the PC and then run it. With this a-priori information the program would fit the position automatically to the predefined track. this could be importent for 400 m tracks, where the precision of the GPS (= +/- 10 m) is to low.

In principle the imprecision can be compensated.

Lightbulb Re: N95 Runners edition - 2

thanks dear for your kind information

Hey Kunalshastry,

which kind information do you mean? You mean one can not understand it at all ?

tmb