Discussion Board

WLAN connection in offline mode

Hi,

Testing device: Nokia E61

My application connects to WLAN access point without showing IAP dialog successfully and application runs in background.

If device is in offline mode, it will ask me confirmation dialog as
    “Create WLAN connection in offline mode? “.

How I can avoid this dialog so that application connects to WLAN access point without user interaction?

Please suggest me how I can achieve this?

Regards,
    Dip

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: WLAN connection in offline mode

It would be a bad practice. Consider that you have switched to Offline mode because you are boarding an airplane, and an application suddenly decides that it powers on the WLAN.

Hi,

Thank you very much.

Ya i have an idea about this. But i want to connect without any dialog.

If you have any idea about this can you explain how to do this ?

Regards,
    Dipak

Regular Contributor

What might be considered bad practice for a mass market application that anyone can install may be perfectly acceptable (and in fact required) for a particular customer.

This sort of thing should perhaps be highlighted as bad practice, or discouraged (unless you have a very good reason) but it certainly shouldn't be forbidden by the OS.

Regular Contributor

This is one of those things that isn't just bad practice, it's a safety issue. Software shouldn't be allowed to override safety measures like this. When your phone is in flight mode, there shouldn't be any possibility for any radio to be turned on without confirmation, full stop.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

Super Contributor

I agree with what CDavies says..security and safety is something which any OS takes responsibility to provide..and as an App developer i am sure each of us would be annoyed if the OS failed to ensure just that..!

And things like power management/capabilities are in the purview of the OS maker..and we should respect that..

yes i would say things like not allowing to end calls, active idle screen and other things that are not security per se should be open..but certainly not something which could be hazardous..!

cheers
    mayank

Quote Originally Posted by rob_savageminds View Post
    What might be considered bad practice for a mass market application that anyone can install may be perfectly acceptable (and in fact required) for a particular customer.

This sort of thing should perhaps be highlighted as bad practice, or discouraged (unless you have a very good reason) but it certainly shouldn't be forbidden by the OS.
    This is the case for me. My company is developing an application that requires a WLAN connection to be created automatically without prompt when in offline mode (the default mode when there is no sim card in the phone.) We are using the E51, E63 and E71 phones.

In particular, what is happening is the phone is connected to our access point. While I am testing, I travel out of the range of the access point, and the phone becomes disconnected. Once that happens, I return within range of the access point. Since the phone is in offline mode, when the connection is dropped, the wireless card is turned off. Upon returning within range, the phone does not automatically reconnect to the access point - It takes anywhere from 60 seconds to well over 5 minutes for the phone to prompt "Create WLAN Connection in offline mode?", and I have yet to figure out the catalyst that makes this prompt appear.

The problem is this:
    Our client wants seamless re-connectivity, not to mention when running our app. This means the phone cannot ask to reconnect. Asking to reconnect causes the following problems:
    1) The wait time involved is seemingly random and lengthy.
    2) The prompt is not 'seamless'.
    3) If the prompt is allowed to time out, then the phone defaults to 'no' - meaning even longer waiting/fussing to re-connect to the WLAN.

If there is no SIM card in the phone, then the phone will not allow other profiles than 'offline' to be activated.

Thanks,

- Austin
    Last edited by Austin.Wright; 2010-09-02 at 22:19. Reason: Proofread.

I have the same issue. It would be acceptable if the confirmation for WLAN access would come once but after a disconnect it should not ask for a reconnect again.

I hope cell phones are getting more and more open source based so that one day we are no longer reliant on the manufactors to fix their software.