Discussion Board

jp4symbian

Question RDbStoreDatabase and RDbNamedDatabase

hey folks,

Is it possible to operate a database using RDbNamedDatabase API which has been created using RDbStoreDatabase API?

Currently, this thing is not working for me. I created a database file using RDbStoreDatabase and opened it with RDbNamedDatabase.

There is no error while opening the database but when i try to open a table or view, i get a Dbms 2 panic.

The same database if i create using RDbNamedDatabase and operate it using RDbNamedDatabase , it works fine. Same is the case with RDbStoreDatabase.

Can anyone clarify this issue for me?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: RDbStoreDatabase and RDbNamedDatabase

It may happen that client-side RDbNamedDatabase uses an RDbStoreDatabase on a CPermanentFileStore, but it is not necessarily true.
    If you are really interested, you can create the same (empty) database using both ways, and compare the files in a hex-editor.

jp4symbian

While creating/opening database file using RDbNamedDatabase , we do not need any File Store object, only the name of the database file.

So what difference does it make if that file is created using RDbStoreDatabase or RDbNamedDatabase?

FYI: I am opening the database uisng a DBMS Server session with RDbNamedDatabase . Will that matter if the database has been created using
    RDbStoreDatabase?

Nokia Developer Expert

I would assume that you are not allowed to mix-and-match different file types, thus if you want to access it thought the RDbNamedDatabase , then also create it as RDbNamedDatabase and visa versa.

yucca

jp4symbian

Smile Re: RDbStoreDatabase and RDbNamedDatabase

Thanks a lot , yucca.

Actually i am having a generalized application for "easy & fast" making of databases. But that makes a database using RDbStoreDatabase.

And currently I am developing application(s) for shared database. So i created my database with the generalized application and was using it with the API RDbNamedDatabase. But it didn't seem to work.

Though i have created the database using RDbNamedDatabase, I just wanted to explore the possibility of creation with RDbStoreDatabase and usage with RDbNamedDatabase.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jp4symbian
    While creating/opening database file using RDbNamedDatabase , we do not need any File Store object, only the name of the database file.

So what difference does it make if that file is created using RDbStoreDatabase or RDbNamedDatabase?
    The main difference is that RDbStoreDatabase is not necessarily sitting in a file, since it says, it needs a store and that is all. Also note file store is a store in the first place, although it is actually realized in a file. So neither RDbNamedDatabase does not need any File Store object.
    FYI: I am opening the database uisng a DBMS Server session with RDbNamedDatabase . Will that matter if the database has been created using
    RDbStoreDatabase?
    I have described an approach how you can test it. But I will not do it for you.

jp4symbian

Hi wizard_hu_,
    Thanks for the reply. But I did not understand what you meant by the below line. I hope there isn't any misunderstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_
    I have described an approach how you can test it. But I will not do it for you.
    Anyways, i just meant to ask if we are using shared database, is it necessary to create the database with RDbNamedDatabase or will it work if it has been created with RDbStoreDatabase ?

Its not working for me currently.
    Also I don't know exactly what is a "hex-editor". Plz do gimme some examples of such editors......
    Last edited by jp4symbian; 2007-07-16 at 07:33.