Discussion Board

When does RaccoonOnMap refresh?

Hi

yesterday I lost (due to some problems in my handset), connection to ROM (RaccoonOnMap) when driving, even though my local Raccoon claimed to be online (a friend told me that it wasn't refreshing anymore).
    I re-booted today and went online, without having ROM webpage open in the PC. When I went offline again and checked ROM on the PC, my position was still same as yesterday. Only when ROM on PC and Raccoon on my mobile where active at the same time, my position on the ROM webpage was refreshed.
    When does the position in the ROM webpage actually refresh - only when someone loads the ROM webpage or also if nobody is looking at it while one is online (and then again offline afterwards).

Rgds, ueffchen

Re: When does RaccoonOnMap refresh?

Hi!

I designed the RaccoonOnMap to request the location of the users only when somebody has the web page open. Reason for this was to save data traffic and battery of the phone. The RaccoonOnMap page actually refreshes itself every 10th minute so if you leave the page open then ROM server will request the location of all users every 10 min.

If you want to make sure that you are "spotted" (e.g. to save the GPS coordinates of a new cell) you can request yourself your own location by calling the ROM server with your phone's own web browser:

Code:
    http://raccoon.openlaboratory.net/RaccoonOnMap/ROMserver.php?action=getlocation&user=foobar&format=text
    In my N80 this was little tricky since the memory was low and opening web browser usually killed Raccoon. I managed to make it work by first starting the WAP browser and then the Raccoon (both using the same access point).

--Timo

Ok, that works. No probs in my E70 with simultaneous browser/Raccoon.

HTML Code:
    (e.g. to save the GPS coordinates of a new cell)
    What does that mean, do you store GPS coordinates and Cell info, so that next time when GPS is not available you can identify the Cell location by the formely stored data?
    That should help you to collect lots of cell info, even though it is not accurate every time as the cells might be big and GPS location within the cell is not necessarily same as the location of the basestation itself - but still better than nothing.

-ueffchen

Exactly. RaccoonOnMap saves the GPS coordinates of cells and calculates a simple average of the cell based on the 'GPS sightings'. Next time when you don't have a GPS device, RaccoonOnMap will use this average to find a location for you.

In 2G cells the location is pretty reasonable ~300meters. With 3G the cell size can be few kilometers (at least here in Finland).

--Timo