Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Sms Problem!!! Not Receiving

Hi, Im developing an application to send and receive sms, but i have a problem, i can send the sms to a regular phone and receive it without problems on the other phone, but if someone answers to me not using my java app the sms goes to the inbox, instead of the my java app!

I dont know what the port to listen to sms!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Sms Problem!!! Not Receiving

Unfortunately you cannot listen to the incoming "normal" SMS messages. You can only receive the messages sent to a specific port (which your MIDlet is listening to)

Hartti

Why? Cant i at least know when a message arrived and open it from the sms inbox using java? I want to develop a chat application and be able to use it with other mobiles, who dont have the midlet instaled.

If someone could help-me! i would apreciate it.

hmm... well if u want to do it with SMS, it can be done, but with some effort.

A MIDlet only listen to SMS's that are coming to the particular port assigned to it. So first of all u have to ensure that reply should come to that port/appId.
    For this u should have a server side application that make it assured the SMS is to be send with the port assigned to it.
    This demands your server side application to run inside a SMSC server to which the SMS is to be send or some dedicated number say 6767 (generally provided as a link) provided by some service provider from which it will be redirected to your serv. application. Means your SMS's will come from a SMSC server or form the number 6767 and your reply also get reach there.

But the whole process still have a loophole, how your serv app will know the user to whom the SMS should be sent. For this, the reply should be formated in a way that from it u can get the user to whom it should be sent. Say the reply should be made to John, the msg may be formated as:
    <JOHN> msg body goes here.
    Upon receiving to ur serv app, u have to parse it and send the msg. And this can be done easily 'cuz we have done this kind of thing once. Although I am not much able to say more about the server side app, 'cuz I was not much associated with that one.
    Regards,
    S.D.

Hi,

Once again, as informed by Hartti, the native SMS Inbox is not acessible from JME.

Br,
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by juarezjunior
    Hi,

Once again, as informed by Hartti, the native SMS Inbox is not acessible from JME.

Br,
    If this was to me:
    I didn't said that the reply will be automatically formated like that, the user replying should take care of it. This u can assume as a protocol to the service.
    Regards,
    S.D.

Nokia Developer Champion

zmaster_d

This is how the Java ME messaging API has been specified. You need to remember that the MIDlets are running in a snadboxed environment and they have only a limited access to native phone capabilities (no methods to answer a call, see the phone logs, etc).
    There are optional APIs drafted all the time, which will in time give better access to these capabilities (for example, when MIDP 2 was introduced, there was no access to the contact book, calendar or files on the device, the optional API JSR-75 was specified to take care of this). There is an SMS inbox API being defined, but it will take some time before it is implemented on any phones (and wide availability will take even longer...)

Hartti