Discussion Board

N95 SIP incomming call problem

Hi All,
    Just brought an Brand new N95 week ago. I manage to make outgoing calls and receive calls via Asterisk version 1.4x. However, if I leave the phone ‘idle’ for say 5 minutes and it won’t be able to receive SIP calls. This problem also exist in my old N80IE phone. Any idea for this problem? Thanks all in advance for your help.
    Geroge

Regular Contributor

Re: N95 SIP incomming call problem

Hi

I'm also using N95 SIP with Asterisk (v 1.2.14 though), and it works fine here.
    Perhaps it has something to do with your WiFi connection? There are some reports about wifi disconnects with earlier N95 firmware.
    Mine is currently on 12.0.x.

Regards,
    Mark.

Hi Mark,
    Mine N95 is version V11.0.26 (17-04-2007). Nokia software updater report no new update is available!!
    B.rgds
    George

Regular Contributor

Hmm, can't recall having any problems with v11.0.26, but then again, I did not use my phone often with SIP back then...

Can you take a look at your asterisk messages?
    Whenever my phone goes out of wifi range, I see the following in /var/log/asterisk/messages:
    NOTICE[3550] chan_sip.c: Peer '14' is now UNREACHABLE!
    (Peer 14 being my N95)
    If your asterisk log shows a similar message for your phone, that would mean that there is defenately something going wrong with the wifi connection.
    Do other phones connect properly to your asterisk? (e.g. sjphone from PC?)
    It would help if you post relevant parts of your asterisk configuration, as well as your SIP settings from your N95...

Did not find any NOTICE[3550] chan_sip.c: Peer 'XX' is now UNREACHABLE in my asterisk log!
    However, my xten eyebeam and Nokia N80IE with lastest firmware(just upgrade! It suffered the same problem previously) works very well. Seem like I have to wait for N95 V12 firmware to be released in my Country(Hong Kong) to fix the problem!

Nokia Developer Expert

1) Is there a NAT (network address translator) or a firewall on the route?

If Asterisk supports TCP transport, using it may help, if Asterisk is configured to be the outbound proxy, change the transport in the proxy settings to TCP instead of UDP or Auto (when UDP is used for SIP requests below 1300b)

2) The WLAN is not woken up from power save - what is your WLAN access point vendor and type? If there is selection to disable power saving features it might help.

Same problem with Nokia E51 version: 100.34.20
    I can make VoIP calls with no problem, but I can't receive 2 or 3 minutes after registration!

I'm using Betamax providers (Voipbuster and Voipcheap).

I'have this problem in WLAN. In UMTS I don't know but I presume I have the same problem. My WLAN router have NAT activation, so I get a private IP on the E51.

Any ideas what could be?

Rgds,
    Tomaz.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi,

Does the problem appear in both TCP and UDP connections?
    You could try to adjust Nat Bind refresh times with SIP VoIP Settings tool. The tool can be found at:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._Settings.html

After Launching the application, settings can be found at: NAT firewall settings > IAP parameters > select IAP > adjust TCP NAT bind. refresh & UDP NAT bind refresh.
    Last edited by juhanak; 2008-02-11 at 10:28.

Hi Juhanak!

Voipbuster (Betamax Products) only works in UDP (or AUTO), if I put TCP it doesn't register...
    I had already previously installed Nokia “SIP VoIP Settings” in my phone and I try to change some parameters (including TCP & UDP NAT bind refresh) to find a solution, but I had no luck at all. Anyway I found something...

I try with 3G connection and works OK! I try to find what is the difference between these two connections and discovered that my Cell Operator give me a Public IP, and that was the big difference!

I return to my WiFi connection and make this configuration from the topic “Cannot receive VoIP calls on an E70”.

1. Set up your router to always give your phone the same internal IP-address.
    2. Put this address in the routers DMZ. If you have played around with the phone within five minutes, restart it.
    3. Often the VoIP suppliers submit a software for calling from your computer. Turn this one of - if the computer is using the router. The reason is that the software normally uses the same UDP port as the phone.

... and voila, it works perfectly!!!
    So, for sure, the problem is in how Nokia E51 VoIP Client handles NAT problems (Private IP). I resolve the problem at home, where I can change WiFi Router config, but in all others places (where probably will be more important than at home) how can I use Nokia VoIP Application with privates IP (very common)?

Do you suggest any change in E51 configuration parameters to allow working on “private world“?
    For example, I can use this same account in my phone with no problems at all using FRING application, but of course, I prefer to use your native VoIP client. Can you test this common situation in lab?

Thanks for your support and I sure that Nokia team will quickly find a solution for this big inconvenience (use VoIP client behind a NAT Router with Private IPs).

Look forward to hearing from you,
    Regards, Tomaz.

Quote Originally Posted by juhanak View Post
    Hi,

Does the problem appear in both TCP and UDP connections?
    You could try to adjust Nat Bind refresh times with SIP VoIP Settings tool. The tool can be found at:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._Settings.html

After Launching the application, settings can be found at: NAT firewall settings > IAP parameters > select IAP > adjust TCP NAT bind. refresh & UDP NAT bind refresh.
    Hi,

Had the problem with loosing the connection with the asterisk server before some time.
    I changed the TCP NAT bind. refresh & UDP NAT bind refresh to 4 and now the phone keeps on status OK. Values above 4 seems to drop the connection.
    Those changes apply to a 3G connection between the phone and my asterisk server.

Has anyone solved this problem yet?

I can make and receive sip calls, but a few minutes after registering, I can no longer receive incoming calls. I have tried adjusting the TCP and UDP nat bind refresh settings from default 1200 & 28 (respectively) to both values being '4', as mentioned in the thread however that did not fix the problem. Please help. Thanks.

Hi Samtylee;
    For me, after change "TCP NAT bind refresh & UDP NAT bind refresh to 4" is works's perfect, and I can receive calls all time while register.

I have a Nokia E51 and use Betamax services.

Rgds,
    Tomaz.

Hi all

I have a N95 and a e71, and I have the same problem. In my home I have a asterisk server and when I try to to connect from outside of my network they connect normaly but in minutes the status change for 'UNREACHABLE'. But when I connect from my network this problems do not exist. In my home I have a Lynksys wireless router and in my office I have a DLink wireless router.

is there any way to maintain the connection by sending a new register after a few minutes?

Name/username Host Dyn Nat ACL Port Status
    104/104 201.75.YYY.XXX D N 58318 UNREACHABLE

Thaks.

Hi all,
    I found the same problem.
    The SIP VoIP Settings tool is NOT working for me.
    Also all other suggestions I found on the Net were failing.
    In my case I was trying to have N95 working as a SIP client for Asterisk on H3G Italy network.
    I think that this happens when the Internet connection has been idle for a certain time, in this case the operator closes the connection after a timeout (don't know exactly how much, could be 10 < timeout < 30 mins).
    At that point the peer results as UNREACHABLE at the sip show peers command in Asterisk CLI.
    After this the only thing to to is to wait for the REGISTER expiry time is over (default is 3600 secs).
    When the peer is back to UNKNOWN state the N95 can REGISTER again to the Asterisk server.
    To avoid this I found an easy countermeasure: add these two lines in file /etc/asterisk/sip_general_custom.conf (in FreePBX or AsteriskNOW) or /etc/asterisk/sip.conf inside [general] section (in native Asterisk):
    maxexpirey=1200
    defaultexpirey=600
    These are timings in seconds, they would need an adjustment to fit your provider timeout.
    Then in the Asterisk CLI do a restart: restart now.
    When the N95 succeeds registering again will never go UNREACHABLE!

Cheers.
    Mauro

you can also turn CRLF (same page as the nat timeouts) to ON. this will send packets out periodically and keep connections open. although this may drain battery some.