Discussion Board

more doubts about Mifare, emulator and 6131 nfc phone firmware,midlet signing

Hello again.

First of all, I wanted to valorate the collaboration of nokia experts in that forum. I think is very useful.

Raluca answered very efficiently to my last post.

Now I have another set of doubts.

I saw some posts around the themes i will talk to you.
    But i have not seen yet a good or definitive answer for those questions (not in my opinion).

I want to concentrate some of those doubts in this post.

1. MFStandardConnection:

In the sdk 1.1 runs ok (with the emulator). probably in the 1.0 too. But if you run this code in a real phone the "class not found error" appears.

It looks like the phone sofware version is outdated. I saw some posts saying that "com.philips.rf.MifareStdConnection" exists in the phone. This is true, I tried it. But that class is no longer in the actual sdk. There is no documentation neither references.

In the post where Raluca talks about the 1.1 release, he mentioned that the new sdk is compatible with Nokia 6131 NFC mobile phone software version 5.10. ([URL=http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111221])

But when I try to update my nfc phone with nokia software updater, the program says that a newer version does not exists for my phone

My software version is v3.12 16-03-07 rm-216

How can I update my phone version to 5.10 in order to use sdk1.1 capabilities without any problem?

Is that version actually available? if the answer is no, when is going to be available?

2. Midlet Signing

Actually exists some CA (certificate authority) that support code signing e.g Thawte.
    A Midlet signed with a code certificate can access to secure element (opening a connection to internal mifare).

does some trial of "code certficate" exist for develop use?

I suppose the answer for that question is no, so the next question would be:

can I update my phone list of CA to add my own certificate ? (self signed certificate).

I think that the second possibility should be possible. But my phone does not give the option to do that.

I have more questions but i prefer to put them in another post, to make the posts more readables.

As always thanks in advance.

Re: more doubts about Mifare, emulator and 6131 nfc phone firmware,midlet signing

Hi Ocariz!

About issue 1. MFStandardConnection:
    The firmware update (5.11) will not be available for download. You'll have to go to a Nokia Care Point Service agent. I've read that on the forum and have successfully updated mine in Portugal.

About issue 2. Midlet Signing
    I have the same doubts...

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: more doubts about Mifare, emulator and 6131 nfc phone firmware,midlet signing

You cannot install your own certficates on Series 40 phones for MIDlet signing.

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    Do you know if there is any kind of trial certificate, or some discount in buying a new certificate for students?
    Actually I just know Verisign adn Thwata, but do you know other kind of certificate that the 6131 accept?
    thanks
    Roberto

Nokia Developer Champion

Unfortunately no. (Except the certificate used for Java Verified - GeuTrust UTI for MIDP - wfor which you have to pay for eact testing round; check for more information from javaverified.com, if you need....)

Hartti

Regular Contributor

Sorry but may be I didn't understood...

Nokia released this wonderful 6131 NFC (the first and actually the only full NFC nokia phone) and:
    1) for 10 month (april to december) the access to the SE was blocked with the SE key and you couldn't develop anything more useful then "send NDEF hello text record" without paying a third party service to unblock the access to the SE!

2) Now that nokia realeased (after 10 month...) the midlet to unlock the SE, we need, even if the access to the SE is "public", to sign the midlet with certificates that cost at least 299 dollars per year?

is it true?

I successfully created and downloaded a self-signed issuer CA , I still have problem with signing the midlet byt I hope that it would work.

if anyone want to try:
    http://www.spindriftpages.net/blog/d...orial-revised/
    http://browndrf.blogspot.com/2006/06...ed-midlet.html

bye,
    Roberto

Regular Contributor

hi Roberto,

from what i know, you cant create a self-signed issuer CA and use it for code-signing in s40. it is mention is several threads. try to take a look. from what i know, you can't check the code signing in the option.

i using a verisign code signing cert. i tried way to download, all didnt work.

thanks

Regular Contributor

From my experiments:

from here:
    http://www.spindriftpages.net/blog/d...orial-revised/

I used the keytool to generate a certificate (root certificate, I presume) and successfully downloaded in the mobile phone (with a web server as mentioned http://browndrf.blogspot.com/2006/06...ed-midlet.html

But After signing the application and downloaded in the mobile phone in the option of the application (in the "application menu" of Nokia) I can't see any certificate (it shows "certificate NO"). When the application start it shows "no certificate found" (or something like this...

but here:
    http://browndrf.blogspot.com/2006/06...ed-midlet.html
    the problem is different: I wrote a valid Root Certificate with openssl, but when I donwloaded it in the mobile phone the browser prompted "certificate invalid or corrupted".

The next try will point in these 2 direction:
    - I found that the newest version openSSL has some problem with the X509 certificate creation, so I will use an older version openSSL
    - The last hope is that the firmware in my nokia is the 3.11, so it's a bit old, may be something will change with the 5.12 (??):

Which kind of software do you use to download the application (both the .jar and the .jad) to the nokia. I used the nokia PC suite but I think that it not send the .jad.
    Is it true?
    After signing an application which software do you use?

Thanks,
    Roberto

Regular Contributor

A signed midlet need ota to download

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by lovercjs View Post
    A signed midlet need ota to download
    Sorry, may be it's a stupid question , but does Nokia pc suite use OTA (over the air) to download the application?

thanks
    Roberto

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by lovercjs View Post
    hi Roberto,

from what i know, you cant create a self-signed issuer CA and use it for code-signing in s40. it is mention is several threads. try to take a look. from what i know, you can't check the code signing in the option.

i using a verisign code signing cert. i tried way to download, all didnt work.

thanks
    Well reading other posts in the forum I'm trying to persuade myself that I cannot create a self-signed Midlet, so, my question is: why did I succeeded the download of a Root Certificate?

I successfully created it following these steps:

(from http://www.spindriftpages.net/blog/d...orial-revised/)
    Code:
       1. You need to use keytool (from the JDK)
       2. I used the following command keytool -genkey -alias {myalias} -keyalg RSA -validity 365
       3. This will prompt you for a keystore password, enter your keystore password (if you have an existing keystore) or the one you want to use if you don’t have one yet
       4. Fill in all the prompts about location/company name etc.

C:\j2sdk1.4.2_08\bin>keytool -genkey -alias company -keyalg RSA -validity 365
          Enter keystore password: password
          What is your first and last name? [Unknown]: My Name
          What is the name of your organizational unit? [Unknown]: company
          What is the name of your organization? [Unknown]: company
          What is the name of your City or Locality? [Unknown]: location
          What is the name of your State or Province? [Unknown]: location2
          What is the two-letter country code for this unit? [Unknown]: GB
          Is CN=My Name, OU=company, O=company, L=location, ST=location2, C=GB correct? [no]: yes
          Enter key password for (RETURN if same as keystore password):

5. Run keytool -list to see your new certificate
       6. Next you must export the certificate so you can import it to your phone
       7. Run keytool -export -alias {myalias} -file mycertificate.crt
       8. Import the certificate into your phone (see below for details)
    And I donwloaded it with a webserver.

Now I can see it under the menu of the Certificate (where Verisign CA lies)...
    So my final question is: what did i download??

thanks
    Roberto

Regular Contributor

you download a certificate to the phone. which could be used for different purpose.

Regular Contributor

btw, what you download, could be also a certificate used for https connection.

there is different function of a certificate and you could set it to do. there is a option menu or setting. (cant remember), there have option of what the certificate could do.

for the certificate that you download, the checkbox of "application signing" (if i didnt remember wrongly) cannot be checked at all.

by the way, i try all these steps before. =)
    worth the try though.

Regular Contributor

sorry, didnt see the past post.

nokia pc suite send over to the phone the .jar file only. thus the previous time you download, the certificate is not there. the certificate need the .jad file to see everything.