Discussion Board

SNAP Mobile Features

Hello all,

I have the following questions regarding some features of snap mobile :

1.) Is it possible to implement server sided game logic, respectively a custom application that runs on the server, has access to the game-database, and interacts with the mobile game-clients?

2.) Can I install a content-database, which allows me to update or extend the content of the client application (e.g. images, texts or custom data-files) ,or to deliver extra content or extensions like special items or additional levels? Is there an interface to the operators billing-server, so that i can sell content to the player?

3.) If there is no way to provide the features above within the SNAP System, is there a way to implement those on an external Server and integrate this Server via an interface into the SNAP-System?

thanks and
    Kind regards,

Christian

Super Contributor

Re: SNAP Mobile Features

1) Currently no. No SNAP Mobile custom game servers are supported.

2) Look at the APIs that discuss uploading and fetching assets. However, there's no in-game content/asset sales/billing mechanisms for games to utilize.

3) I suppose you could use IP socket or HTTP calls from the MIDlet to your own server, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib

2) Look at the APIs that discuss uploading and fetching assets. However, there's no in-game content/asset sales/billing mechanisms for games to utilize.

3) I suppose you could use IP socket or HTTP calls from the MIDlet to your own server, I suppose.
    OK, thanks!

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by petrib

One correction to this is that you cannot connect your own server for any data storing or other data processing. This is strickly ruled out by SNAP Mobile Standard Game Requirements.

But as Petri said you can use the Asset calls to store and fetch data from SNAP Mobile servers. Note: This feature is not available on the emulation environment, only on the actual live development server.

Cheers!

- Heidi