Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

what's the different between "exe" and "app" ?

I found a GUI test software written by someone, which is doing the same job as an application I'm writing now.

I'm trying hard to make my application more faster, and at the end I still find his software is much faster than mine.

so I checked his "sis" file, and find he used a "exe". and my application is based on a gui "app" .

Is "exe" much faster than "app" on symbian?
    I don't know how to write a GUI "exe".

hope someone can help me

Re: what's the different between "exe" and "app" ?

From S60 3rd edition, all applicaiton are .exe application in Symbian. Earlier by default application were polymorphic dll which has .app extension.

You should write yours applicaiton in S60 3rd Edition.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by umesh.roy
    From S60 3rd edition, all applicaiton are .exe application in Symbian. Earlier by default application were polymorphic dll which has .app extension.

You should write yours applicaiton in S60 3rd Edition.

both mine and his application can run on Nokia 7610 and Nokia QD, and I don't think 7610 and QD support S60 3rd.

Nokia Developer Moderator

exe is pre-3rd edition is most likely some-kind-of server based application, thus have a look into client-server application examples.

They though do not have GUI's, but I'm rather sure Wiki has something on the topic on the code samples section.

yucca

Quote Originally Posted by hz_chenpeng
    I found a GUI test software written by someone,
    I don't know how to write a GUI "exe".

hope someone can help me
    Hai hz_chenpeng,
    Here is the link for Example UI in exe
    http://www.pushl.com/developers/exectrl.html
    U can also get it from wiki as Yucca told.Here is the link
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...n_exe_programs

Hope this may help u,
    Symbivg.

Regular Contributor

thank Yucca and Symbivg very much.

and here is one more question. If we do the same graphics job, is it true that "exe"(server based application) runs much faster than "app"(dll) ?

Regular Contributor

No, not at all. They both do the same jobs and handle the same events. You can probably get the executable to start up a little quicker, but you aren't going to achieve any earth shattering performance gains by handling the windows and window server session yourself.

Really, if you want to improve performance you need to profile your application and find out what the biggest bottlenecks are, and address them rather than taking a wild stab in the dark about what your competitors are doing.

Edit: Also it occurs to me, is your competitor even actually using an exe, rather than an app? Symbian OS doesn't care about names or file extensions for the most part. It's the UIDs that count. It could well just be an app named .exe....
    Last edited by cdavies; 2007-07-21 at 00:43.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

Regular Contributor

If his program is not 3rd edition and its an exe then its not a full Symbian "GUI Application" using that term to mean its not using eikon/avkon/qikon and apparc and cone* etc.

So what do you mean by GUI exactly?

Regardless of that, if they're doing the same thing but your code has 1000 classes and is 500K and his has 100 and is 50K large to achieve the same thing then looking at .app and .exe is a bit of a red herring no? How do you know his is exactly the same size and complexity as yours?

(*you can actually do this though, but that not a full GUI app, http://www.pushl.com/developers/exectrl.html)
    Last edited by Mr. Buttington; 2007-07-21 at 01:14.

Nokia Developer Moderator

propably should have said that if it is pre-3rd edtion exe, it most likely does not implement standart application framework(app,doc & appui class,, as well as control environments etc.), which basically has really litle to do with GUI, and you can also have GUI's build without standard application framework.

yucca