Discussion Board

Easy UI design tool?

Hi,

I am looking for an easy-to-use tool for drafting user interfaces for S60 applications.

I'm aware that there's a UI designer in the Dev version of Carbide, but do you think non-symbian-programmers can get anything out of it? I don't think there's any trial version of that available..?

We would only need to place some typical elements there and probably plan the structure of the menus and such. The coding of the applications is then done by "real programmers" who can use whatever environment they wish, Carbide most likely.

Any ideas?

Super Contributor

Re: Easy UI design tool?

Hi,
    Carbide C++ Developer edition is available for a 21 day trial.
    Also IMHO the Carbide UI designer is quite useful only for people interested in making screens.So even the graphics designer can create screens more quickly once he has got a hang of the UI terms like menu pane and status bar.
    So it would be a good idea to make the graphics designer guys to read the Series 60 UI style guide first and then use the UI designer.
    If you are targeting the older Series 60 edition,the Borland C++ BuilderX 1.5 also had a UI designer.Am not sure if it would fit your bill,but as it is a free tool, you can surely give it a try.
    Also there is a commercial tool from Wirelexsoft which is again eclipse based.
    --Mayur.

Re: Easy UI design tool?

Hey, thanks a lot for the info.

I also do think that everyone involved in the development really have to be at least somewhat aware of the S60 UI basics, so most likely using the Carbide UI designer won't be any problem.