Discussion Board

how to automate makekeys process?

hi to everyone, currently, i try to automate the process of makekeys (to create .cer and .key file). I do this using command line, but when i try to makekeys, it prompt me to input random data using mouse movement or keyboard pressing, and i do follow the instruction and do success in create .cer and .key file.

But i would like to do this in batch manner (create a list of different .cer and .key files), is there any way to this? Seems, that random data need to be input manually, is there anyways for me to provide the random data using code (e.g. php)??

regards
    chenloong

Re: how to automate makekeys process?

This is quite interesting question. In Carbide.c++ v1.2 I found an automated way of creating the .cer and the .key for the project. But I've to investigate how it's actually happening in Carbide, may be you can also do an R&D in that way. Mean while we can even search in the Forum/Google for an already existing solution. What would you say? :)

hi vin2ktalks,

yap,,,, i am happy since someone out there also would like to make it too,, actually i found that it is possible through the carbide.ui theme creator. It help user to create cert and also private key, yet not ask user to do the trouble (giving random data) which likely to be a must if doing it using command line.

I do try to search from google too,,, but sadly, nothing relevant found, perhaps i don't hit the keyword.

Nevertheless, i will keep on finding, hope that vin2ktalks or anyone who has experience on this will help. Thanks in advance.

regards,
    chenloong

Regular Contributor

You can do it by piping makekeys a file full of random data, but that isn't in any way, shape or form a good idea.

The whole point of the process is that the PC has no good source of entropy available (well, actually, radio noise from the wifi chip, maybe...) If you bypass the process, your keys tend to become easier to crack.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

Nokia Developer Moderator

You can generate several .cert-s using the same .key file if it helps (I have no expertise with crypto stuff, so it might be a bad idea...).

I has same idea as wizard_hu_, by using the same .key file, we can renew the .cert from time to time. This save a lot of work, since i mainly want to renew the expired .cert file in the .sis file.