Discussion Board

Signing of NPBitmap

I am wondering if anyone has enabled the NPBitmap example on their telephone and if so..how? I am some time busy now trying to get a developer signature which enables me to put this example on my telephone.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Signing of NPBitmap

Plugins are often requiring sensitive capabilities, you need that devcert and that is all.

Does NPBitmap really need the DRM capability? This appears to be a really sensitive API that requires approval by Nokia.

However I simply removed the DRM capability from the mmp file and the plugin worked ok.

What features of NPBitmap require DRM?

Since we're talking about a plug-in it was probably a requirement imposed by the DLL loading rules.

Since you have the source code you can use Carbide.c++ and the epocwind.out to analyze project's PlatSec requirements.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Ok - it appears that NPBitmap does require DRM capability. If I remove that capability it installs fine but crashes the browser when it tries to start the plugin.

It seems very silly to have to get formal approval just to play around with the NPBitmap sample application - does anyone know if there is a way around it? Can I disable capability checking somehow?

You can run the application in the emulator just fine, and I don't think that there is any feature of the browser that cannot be emulated so in fact you have no limitation there and no specific need for running it on the phone.

However, you must understand that any browser plug-in will have the same requirement so unless you are prepared to apply for the manufacturer approved capability and also confident that you will get it (enough of a business case to support your use case) then you should probably look for an alternative solution for your problem.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi guys,

Everyone is taking about the NPBitmap sample of the browser plugin, but i'm unable to locate it. The browser plugin API documentation quotes of a sample plugin at http://www.forum.nokia.com/Browserapi, but there are no samples present in the given URL. Please suggest where would i find a sample browser plugin.

Thanks in advance !!

Shubham Agarwal