Discussion Board

Is there any way to determine target platform (symbian os version) from a sis file??

hi to everyone,

currently, i faced a problem, first of all, let me explain the scenario.

I had involved in theme creation (mainly on 3rd edition and also 3rd edition fp1) using Carbide.ui S60 Theme Editor since long time ago, and now i face some headache, the certificate is going to expire.
    I plan to renew the cert using signsis.exe . But i found that there is different version of signsis.exe, for 3rd edition and 3rd edtion fp1, and my themes are mix of 3rd edition and 3rd fp1, the following is my query :

1. Is there any critical different between these 2 different version of signsis.exe (no problem when use either one to renew the cert)??

2. Is there anyways for me to know the target platform from only the sis file that created (i.e by providing the sis file, can i know it is for 3rd or 3rd fp1 platform?)

3. or anyone can suggest any solution to me?

Thanks before hand!

regards,
    chenloong

Super Contributor

Re: Is there any way to determine target platform (symbian os version) from a sis fil

I don't know the answer of your first question. So far, I have been using signsis.exe from 3rd FP1 and it works on 3rd devices.

About the second question, it is possible to detect the platform the user is using. One way to detect is using IF statement

if exists("z:\system\install\series60v3.1.sis")
    ; If this is FP1 devices, then
    else
    ; If this is 3rd devices, then
    endif

But be cautious when FP2 devices have come out. You need to update your .pkg file.

Antony
    Antony Pranata
    http://www.antonypranata.com/
    http://www.s60tips.com/

Super Contributor

Re: Is there any way to determine target platform (symbian os version) from a sis file??

Hi,

The signed sis file you created for 3rd edition will work on FP1 also. But sometimes the reverse may will fail.

Re: Is there any way to determine target platform (symbian os version) from a sis fil

Thank you, antonypr and peter_k_john, your's opinion give much help, and i try using signsis.exe to sign the sis file, and it works fine on 3rd fp1.

But i found there is 2 version of signsis which is "signsis.exe" and also "S60_31_signsis.exe" . I wonder that if "signsis.exe" can be use to sign 3rd fp1's sis file, why Nokia announced another version of signsis(S60_31_signsis.exe) specifically for 3rd fp1???

Hope to hear from you all. Perhaps we need some nokia guru to explain about this. Thanks.

regards,
    chenloong

Regular Contributor

There is no difference. The SIS file format is the same, which includes the way signatures are handled.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg