Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Can Symbian signed crack proof an application?

Hi All,
    I have this very basic doubt,that does Symbian signed crack-proof an application?
    So once signed is it impossible to crack an application?If the answer is YES then how come the Symbian apps cracking scene so bustling with releases?
    Any light on this one?
    --Mayur.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Can Symbian signed crack proof an application?

Symbian signing does not protect applications from cracking.
    However it makes difficult distributing cracked applications that require sensitive capabilities.
    For example games usually do not require anything but LocalServices/NetworkServices (in case of multi-player support), thus they can be self-signed by the cracker.

Basically if the application files are changed in anyway (i.e. cracked), the installation file needs to be re-signed, thus if you use capabilities that require symbian signing, then it can not be re-signed with a certificate that would work in all phones, better also if your application used manufacturer granted capabilities, then it can not be installed unless the phone owner has valid developer certificate for it, thus it is rather impossible really.

Anyway, if it uses self-signed capabilities only, the cracked version could simply be self-signed and would work well. And often developers forget to protect they key-generating secrects, thus crackers are not required to crack the software at all, but just they need to make a key-generating code and all works well...

yucca

Super Contributor

But shouldn't the Symbian Signed process make it impossible to distribute cracked apps,which have been repacked?
    Well,I have seen on many forums,cracked sis files of quite complex applications some of whom require network access at least and so probably also require the capability.
    Also these sis files are able to install on many devices without re-signing!!
    I have seen cases of gps apps,apps which change profiles etc.. you name it and they are cracked,repacked and distributed with absolutely no issues about certificates and all!!
    Well the only thing these people are not able to get is developer certificates with manufacture approved capabilities.
    Who knows,probably they have already figured it out .
    --Mayur.

maybe you could give an actual example, with a link, othervise I don't actually beliave in your story.

anyway there are 5 capabilities, which include network services (i.e using GPRS etc.) that can be granted for self-signed application, and as I mentioned, if the developer does not protect the key-generations, then symbian signed can not make any difference to the situation whatsoever.

yucca

Super Contributor

hi mayur,

it will be better that u paste some relavent links where the things u found to support ur concern so that we can know the proximity of how much the internal system has been used and malfunctioned to make cracked versions..

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

I don't think there has really been any "internal system malfunctioning..."

yucca

Super Contributor

hi,

i need to see whaether the cracked files might be using some internal components if they are using.. Untill and unless we have the relavent links that mayur is referrrinog too we will never know hows they have used it...

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Super Contributor

Ok,here is one app(Handy BlackList) which is shareware :
    http://my-symbian.com/s60v3/software...Auto=233&faq=1
    And the cracked app from google:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...le&btnG=Search
    There are scores of apps,which have been cracked.
    Am just trying to understand how all this is actually happening?
    --Mayur.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    maybe you could give an actual example, with a link, othervise I don't actually beliave in your story.
    yucca
    If you google a bit you see score of forums which provide such applications.
    I am not here to prove or disprove something,but just to understand as to how all this is happening?
    --Mayur.

Regular Contributor

They just distribute the apps unsigned and expect the recipient to devcert sign them. There was an idiot on this forum just the other day asking how to sign their cracked copy of some GPS software.

To be honest, I reckon this is a good reason for devcerts to be either:

a) Restricted by SIDs, so you can only sign software you write, or
    b) Better still, restricted by VID with a simple process to get a VID for your organisation.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cdavies-nokia View Post
    They just distribute the apps unsigned and expect the recipient to devcert sign them. There was an idiot on this forum just the other day asking how to sign their cracked copy of some GPS software.
    If you just check the very first link of the search page link I have given in my earlier post,those ppl are not even asking to self-sign the application. It's simply a download and install just enter the registration number and you are ready to go.
    --Mayur.

Regular Contributor

Erm, yeah. I did actually download it. Firstly, the file was corrupt, which pretty much prevents anyone from actually installing it in the first place.

Secondly, it was unsigned. No certificates appended to the file at all. It may not be an explicit instruction to sign it, perhaps people are just supposed to know.
    Get Resolvr - The Zeroconf framework for Symbian OS free today. Make your IP networking applications fun and easy to use. http://www.novelinteractions.com/resolvr/
    Proud to be the only autorickshaw owner in Cambridge - http://blog.novelinteractions.com/images/tuktuk.jpg

Super Contributor

Well no,even I installed it on my N91.It installed with no errors and I just regged it with the code provided and it was working perfectly fine!!!
    For now I have just un-installed it quickly to be just prevent from anything malicious creeping in.
    Also as the application is about call black-listing so it was surely signed.
    My assumptions on the actions of the crackers is as follows:
    1. They have probably got the demo version.
    2. Diassembled using IDA.
    3. Got the registration algorithm by studying the disassembled ARM code.
    4. Repacked the application with their files etc. and distributed it.
    Any inputs on the steps?
    Also can Symbian signed be helpful in stopping this cycle?
    --Mayur.
    Last edited by mayur_24; 2007-08-02 at 12:08.

Regular Contributor

OK, maybe it's just the version of unrar I'm using... can you run signsis -o on the version you have and post the results?